Pod Your Reef

my wifes a germaphobe....;

Joe b

This hasn't exactly happened yet, but I fear its only a matter of time. Will carbon filter out lysol? My wife is a nurse and she is very very germaphobic.lol. Sounds crazy right? But I know right now in our home there is 8 cans of lysol and a countless number of other cleaners. Thanks and happy reefing

just tell her to stay away from your tank and that u will take care of cleaning around and on it, surely she will understand if you explain to her, better that than losing life in your tank! :)

HecticDialectics

I imagine a direct spray to the tank would wreak pretty bad havoc on the bacterial filtration all over the live rocks... I really doubt enough of anything will be in the air from spraying a door knob or something to get into the tank. Just tell her not to run through the room spraying it in the air. Lysol doesn't disinfect air. :P

Find safer cleaner, like wipes.

Your wife should know that germs like warm places to live. (being a nurse) Germs have a harder time living in cooler eneviroments. Maybe you should keep the house temp cooler.

Also she should know what the risks that are associted with sraying the Lysol in the house. While she is trying to kill the germs she will inturn give you cancer. There are LOTS of safer measures she/you can take to prevent germ out breaks.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I think you are right to be concerned Joe.

I once lost some corals from my husband spraying some bug spray on the tile floor close to my aquarium, and I've seen posts from people who have had their protein skimmer skimmate smell like the incense they were burning earlier in the day.

It's fairly clear, to me at least, that anything airborne can get into the water in your system.

Please try to impress on your wife that she needs to be really careful about using aerosol sprays anywhere close to your aquarium.

neanderthalman

I'm with weetabix. It's an issue. I don't like it when my g/f lights scented candles in the same room as my tank, because I know that some of the chemicals in the scent are making it into the water.

My solution: don't use an aerosol at all. Get her a liquid cleaner and dampen a cloth with it. So long as she doesn't dip the the cloth in the tank, you should be fine.

Be sure to keep plenty of mixed water on hand, in some location that is not liable to get nailed with lysol :-)

If the worst happens, you have pre-mixed water ready to go.

Archived