Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Particulate filtration needed?

swordfish

Thsi is not exactly a newbie question since I am not a newbie and this concerns an established tank, so flame off already.

I guess, just out of superstition, I have been running an HOB filter on my tank with the media in it since I first put the water in. The media is changed about every three weeks or so. I know very well at this point that what little bio-filtration the HOB offers is not needed since the LR and other water components will take care of that on their own. My question is about the need-or not-for mechanical filtration of particulate matter, which is why I still run the HOB with media in it.

Is this needed to keep the water clearer? I don't see where some of this would go if the media were not in there. The power head would probably keep it circulating for some time before it ever settles, if at all. What about after cleanings, moving LR around or stirring the sand? It seems it would be needed then since that always stirs up a lot of particulate matter (okay, *crap*). I was just wondering how people who do not run HOBs with filter media handle this. If I really do not need it then I'll kiss the media goodbye but keep the HOB running for the sake of circulation still.

I don't worry about it. I run carbon for 3 days a month and it keeps the water super clear. If you leave in a filter pad it will release nitrates into the tank which is not a good idea.

Archived