inTank Media Baskets

SpongeBob Top-Off System

seabass

Here is my top-off system that I put together from a SpongeBob SquarePants Betta Tank and a Kent Marine Aqua Doser (both purchased from PETCO). The tubing is just mini airline tubing so standard plastic mini connectors work perfect. The tank holds 2.5 cups of water so it should be able to top-off my office nano over the weekends.

spongebob1.jpg

First I drilled a hole in the Betta tank and used aquarium sealant to secure the connector in the tank. Then I cut the tubing from the Kent Doser (which can be directly attached to SpongeBob’s pineapple). However, I cut some of the tubing shorter because it was so long. I saved the excess tubing for later use because the drip control works by pinching the tubing (which will likely shorten its lifespan).

spongebob2.jpg

The silicone is still curing, so I haven’t had a chance to try it out; however, I know others have used the Kent Doser for top-offs. I just thought that this would look more at home in my office.

Since you sit in the cubicle across from me :), I look forward to seeing if this little topoff actually works. Granted it would have to be filled more often than a true topoff but it would easily and cheaply fit in and fill the bill for a topoff system. I need a topoff of some sort and I was struggling trying to figure out where I was going to put the container, etc for a true topoff system as it was.

At $35ish dollars, I'm hoping it actually does the job. Out of curiosity, how does the doser dictate how fast the drips enter the tank? Some type of IV-type deal that dictates the actual flow?

You'll have to show more pics of it attached.

The blue device (in the pic) is a thumbwheel that pinches the tube more or less depending on which way you turn it. Not exactly precise, but it looks like it will do the trick.

I’m also thinking that I could put a Calcium based substrate in the bottom of the pineapple, which might serve to dose small traces of dissolved Calcium.

Originally posted by seabass

I’m also thinking that I could put a Calcium based substrate in the bottom of the pineapple, which might serve to dose small traces of dissolved Calcium.

My top off water is only a PH of 7.0.

Isn't it a low PH that dissolves crushed coral?

Am I correct or am I waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy out in left field?

Thanks

Thanks everyone!

DAP, I'm not sure how soluble crushed coral is; it seems like it should help, but I kind of doubt that it will do much to supplement CA. Therefore, I'll probably decide to supplement Calcium through it as well.

Parts:

Mini-airline connectors

The SpongeBob SquarePants Betta Tank

Kent Marine Aqua Dose 1400 Delivery System

The Betta tank is easy to drill through. You could put a few layers of masking tape over the area that you are drilling to prevent the bit from slipping. I started with a small drill bit and kept increasing the size until one side of the connector fit into the hole (I think it was a 7/32" bit). I put silicone around the connector and slid it in place. Then I cut the tubing off the Kent Doser so it will attach to the new connector. Wait for the sealant to cure, connect the tube, and that's it.

The whole IV looking thing comes on the Kent Doser's tubing. I cutoff some excess tubing to make it shorter, then used the extra airline connectors in the kit to connect the spliced ends.

Keep in mind, this system runs on gravity, so you'll have to place it above your tank. And don't forget to add the Jumpin' Jellyfish. :D

Archived