Innovative Marine Aquariums

Please critique my progress w/ my 10g nano, going to begin cycling soon.

nubie101

Hello folks,

I'm setting up my FOWLR tank.

What I have so far:

Tank: 10g AGA tank

Lights: Soon to be 1x32watt CSL Supernova, 1x13watt 6500K

Filter: Aquatech power filter

Heater: Hagen Tronic 50watt

Powerhead: Zoomed 214

Test Kit: Salt water kit, by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals

I will be purchasing a 50gallon mix of Tropic Marin Salt mix tomorow. Instead of getting RO water, what i have planned:

- Water from my fridge will be stored in a rubbermaid bin, along with a decholorinator. After letting it settle for 48 hours, I will add my salt mix, along with heater (set to 81 F) and a Aquatech 3PH power head..... Will let this water mix for 48hours while monitoring salanity (aimng for 1.023)

Therefore, water is prepared.

Livesand/Live Rock:

- I will be getting the sand and rock from a private seller who is liquidating his reef.

- His tank has been running healty for 3 years.. and the sand (was) pure aragonite.

- From his tank, live rock: about 13 Pounds Fiji. which he claims has extensive, colourful coraline, also covered in mushrooms and star polyps

- After putting all the water/sand/rock in the tank, I will cycle for 3-6 weeks.

My questions/concerns:

- The fiji live rock i will be getting will be PARTIALLY Mushroom and Star Polyp Covered. Will these mushrooms or Polyps die during cycling?

- During cycling, should I do water changes? (1g/week?)

And yes, after adding my livestock, i will be chaning water weekly.

Sorry for the long post... ANY constuctive comments/suggestions/concerns will be appreicated.

Thanks,

nubie

I doubt it will even cycle if the tank is and was running that long. It most likely has some good bacterias on it already.

Archived