Top Shelf Aquatics

How to glue a frag?

trevor

I've used the search engine looking for specific methods and materials, but you can imagine how many threads pop-up when you look for frag!:o:D

So, for those of you who choose to glue your frags in place:

What do you use and how do you do it?

Also, is it possible to do it inside and outside of the tank?

Sorry for the newbishness:D

c_k_kuehne

there are two main adhesives --- Super Glue Gel --- plumbers epoxy putty.

epoxy putty is usually used to glue rocks to rocks and can be done under water.

Super Glue Gel is usually used to glue a frag to a rock or plug ect... It can be done underwater somewhat but is much better if done out of the tank.

Try and dry off both the bottom of the frag and the rock/plug. Take the frag and put a medium amount of super glue gel onto the bottom of the frag then press the frag down onto the rock/plug. Hold in place for a min or two till it stands on it's own. I would leave it sit out of water for another 5 min (Don't worry I have gone over 45 min without any worries of the coral dying). Then replace into tank.

To cut off frags from a main colony you can pop off w/ hands, use pliers if it's a hard coral or use a dremel tool w/ cutoff wheel if it's a super hard coral.

Well thats the basics condensed down to a few paragraphs.

In my new nano I'm going to remove the main reef rock and glue frags directly onto it instead of glueing onto a small piece of LR and then attaching that to the main reef rock.

Super glue gel. Take the rock out of the tank and dry the spot where you want to put the frag. Just put some super glue on the rock and place and frag on the glue...I am sure there is a better way to do it, but it works!

Archived