Cultivated Reef

Skimmer Help for a 72

avalanche1201

avalanche1201

Im helping my g/f's parents improve there 72g bow front. I have designed a 20L sump that is going to be built in a few days but they need a skimmer. Whats a good choice for a set up like this?

I've never used a skimmer b/c all my tanks have been nano and pico sized...so Im turning to the Large Reefs for some suggestions. Thanks a lot

avalanche1201

a 20L is the only thing that can fit besides making a custom. The tank is already full (as you can tell from earlier) so its impossible to move it away from the wall to get...say a 55 in there. The "sump" they have now is this tiny thing so this will be a huge improvement, doesnt even have compartments for a fuge or anything.

Well I would suggest no skimmer.

how come you say that?

das ex1 or ex2, both are a bargain for what they can do

x2. i just got the ex2 for my 75g. das bought the design from deltec.so its basicaly a apf600.

yeah, the deltec is better quality, but costs 3x's the price or more! a replacement pump for the deltec alone is like $350. a replacement pump for the das is only $100. In the end the performance is the same.

the only thing I don't like about this design is the twist lock cup. I know it's popular but I think it puts too much stress on the skimmer body over time. I'd rather deal with thumb screws and key holes like the PM skimmers have.

avalanche1201
das ex1 or ex2, both are a bargain for what they can do

Ive been looking for them online to read up on em...do you have a link to help me out?

they don't have a website, but they are sold at petorama or protein-skimmer.com

the only info you can really find on them is from the DAS owners club thread on RC - unfortunately, as usual, I can't get onto RC right now because their server is overloaded, but it's pretty recent

also you can just compare it to it's Deltec counterpart at http://www.deltecusa.us/proteinskimmers/index.php

basically deltec sold DAS their skimmer design so it's the same thing but cheaper materials and cheaper build quality

shaggydoo541

I say no skimmer because I have never used one and have had success both with my old nano and my 120g. I've got a heavy bioload, colorful sps, and a wide variety of other corals. I think there are a lot more important ways to increase the overall health of tank than by adding a skimmer. Better lighting and more water movement come to mind, as these areas (especially the water movement) lack in a lot of tanks. Also feeding a variety of foods is often neglected especially if any of your parents fish are tangs. Just my .02

avalanche1201

I'm taking a look at the DAS skimmers right now. They look pretty good and the thread over on RC seems like its an excellent product...every seems to love it. However, I cant find how much room it needs in the sump. Can someone help me out?

I say no skimmer because I have never used one and have had success both with my old nano and my 120g. I've got a heavy bioload, colorful sps, and a wide variety of other corals. I think there are a lot more important ways to increase the overall health of tank than by adding a skimmer. Better lighting and more water movement come to mind, as these areas (especially the water movement) lack in a lot of tanks. Also feeding a variety of foods is often neglected especially if any of your parents fish are tangs. Just my .02

So far the tank is FOWLR so the lighting they have is plenty for the set up. I will mention this idea to them but I think he really wants a skimmer, we will see though, but I do believe it could use a Closed Loop system. And what do you mean by "feeding a variety of foods is neglected if some of the fish are tangs"? I'm kind of confused.

shaggydoo541
So far the tank is FOWLR so the lighting they have is plenty for the set up. I will mention this idea to them but I think he really wants a skimmer, we will see though, but I do believe it could use a Closed Loop system. And what do you mean by "feeding a variety of foods is neglected if some of the fish are tangs"? I'm kind of confused.

I've found a lot of people have problems keeping tangs alive and healthy. Especially powder blues and tiny blue hippos (both of which I have been able to keep successfully so far). Whenever I find someone who has problems keeping tangs alive I always ask about diet. And most of the time flake foods are the main and sometimes only type of food. I feed my tangs algae sheets daily and also supplement with a wide variety of frozen and pellet foods as well. I feel this has allowed me to keep my 4 tangs fat and healthy in my tank where others often report failure. All this with no skimmer. I also think its a good idea to add a closed loop system or some other means of added water movement. I'm not sure what they currently have but more water movement is seldom a bad idea.

avalanche1201

trust me man they need more water movement..I just need to convince them to do it.

My g/f's dad LOVES the tank after I clean it b.c I get rid of so much algae...sometimes I go as far as scrubbing the rocks off (hence the need for a sump update w/ various macro algeas etc...ive almost got them on their need for an RO/DI Unit) but when it gets nasty like it is now he hates it

They've got 2 tangs, a yellow and a purple..they both are big and fat and doing great, they also feed seaweed and various etc. I dont think they ever feed flakes...but thanks for clearing it up

Im glad they know the importance of a varied diet at least...they've got some fish they've had for like 3 years...just need to fix this damn algae problem

shaggydoo541

Yeah algae is a pest. Tangs usually make short work of most algaes but there are some they just won't touch. Keep trying to sell them on more water movement. I know its not easy though... my parents still have a lousy return of like 960 gph on their 90g and that is it. And then they ask me why they have algae problems... hmmmm. I also think ro/di can help a ton too especially if their local tap water is as funky as mine is.

avalanche1201

yea they keep saying they have an expensive water filtration system...and I keep saying that the system is for DRINKING, not making water pure (which you dont want to drink)

the fish pick here and there at the algae...but its literally covering EVERYTHING. It looks like they have algae rocks

shaggydoo541

You may want to recommend keeping the alk up as this does usually stunt most algae. Another thing to try.

Why wouldn't you want to drink ro/di water? I drink mine all the time and love it.

Archived