Cultivated Reef

Measuring Salinity/SG

Dennis_said

Dennis_said

Which instruments would be the best to measure these components?

And is there a way to go cheap? or is this also very important like the testing and all that?

swing needle hydrometer, refractometers, or floating hydrometers??? Which way to go?

Thanks for any advice, I'm still lost :-D

Dennis_said

I hear w/ the hydrometers, as long as we can control the bubbles and airflow or whatever--so that the water is stable, we should be fine, is this true? Are there any other factors I'm not grasping?

You can get by with a swing-arm hydrometer. I certainly did. However, I like my refractometer MUCH better. With a swingarm, you just want to make sure you keep the thing thoroughly rinsed after use. When you're taking readings, make sure there aren't any bubbles hanging around and take 2 or three readings just to make sure everything is working as expected.

John

c_k_kuehne

I have done many comparisions between swing arm and refractometers. I have yet to find a swingarm that is acurate.

But that has mainly to do w/ swingarms not being calibrated to your tank temp where refractometers auto-calibrate.

In all the comparisons I have done if I take the swingarm measurment along w/ a temp and then put it through the conversion charts for that temp the end result has allways matched what the refractometer said.

The refractometers have always read about .002 higher than the swingarms.

If you go swingarm it is best to find someone w/ a refractometer. You can than make the comparison and find out how much you have to add to get your actual reading.

All this probably doesn't matter much to the average hobbiest but thought I would share anyways.

Dennis_said

Thanks for the advice littleoceans! His looks like a great site to buy stuff from :)

A Refractometer for 35 dollars is REALLY cheap!! Or to me it is :)

Is there anything wrong w/ my 7-dollar swingarm tho by SeaTest?

Altho I am probably goin to want this refractometer now ;)

Thanks!

Archived