SaltCritters.com

Two in a 2.5?(QUICK)

C Jerome

So Do you think i can put two small clown gobies in a 2.5 gallon?

they are less then an inch

What do you say, i need to know

C. Jerome

C Jerome:

What happens when they are both 2.5 inches? That is a big bioload for a 2.5 gallon. 1 would fare okay though. 2 would not make for the greatest of water quality and frequent water changes would be necessary. 2x 1 inchers would be okay until they got bigger. Do you have a larger tank to put them in?

Cruel reefer...... how would you like to be confined to a 10X5 room cluttered with rock and equipment for the rest of your life? With the wife too!!! If you had to come here and ask, I think you already know its too small. X)

Go easy Yup. He was just asking.

C jerome:

What yup is trying to say is "no". Be content with just one and if you must have more, upgrade to a 10 gallon. There are lots of cool inverts you can put in a 2.5. Fish are just too needy when it comes to space. 2.5's are mostly for Coral and inverts IMO. Anything less than 5 gallons is really not suitable for fish unless you are diligent on the upkeep. I don't put fish in my 3 gallon Just to keep the water quality as good as possible so that the corals can flourish.

Thanks for the input guys, yup get off my back, it was just a question. There is just one in the tank now and i do have a 6 gal that i could add one to if needed. A larger tank is out of the question, it needs to be mobile. I dont think that clown gobies get to be 2.5 inches but it will get bigger than it is now(about an inch), the clown goby in my 6 has grown to about an inch and a half and had about stopped. I will think carefully about my next move

C. Jerome

If it makes you feel better, I have been planning on a second fish in my 2.5 for some time now. I just can't conclude on what it is I want to add that the Chromis won't battle for territory. I was thinking a small goby as well but am still undecided after 3 or so months of deciding to add a second. I figure a little green banded or red headed that will never grow over an inch can't possibly cause any bio-damage. I have moved the emerald crab and the scarlet hermit, so I have actually reduced my bio-load enough that it should make no difference.

Your load should not be too high with the 2 small gobies. If you decide to go with 2, do it right off the bat before a single fish can establish the entire tank as it's territory, which will make it harder to add anything down the road (my present fear). Contrary to popular belief, inverts such as crabs and shrimp, etc. breath, eat, and poop as much as a fish. If I could keep 2 hermits, 1 emerald crab, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 astrea, 2 slugs, and one fish with not a huge bio-load issue, I don't think 2 tiny fish will do ya in. You have the 6 as a backup if levels go nuts but in my opinion you can get away with both.

Liquid, now thats what i am talking about. I really want the yellow clown goby and i think it will work. I put in the brown clown goby today and i hope that the lfs will be getting in some yellows on monday with their order. we will see what comes in. do you think the brown will establish his territory before then, i am not moving the rocks to break it up, i love the way they are is there any thing else to do

C. Jerome

Archived