Pod Your Reef

Kenya Tree Trouble

ibehexed

I've been out of town for a week and upon my return I noticed a small patch of hair algae growung near the return from my aquafuge. After removing this, I began to notice my Kenya Tree is not expanding normally. It looks as though some of the pesky hair algae has taken hold on my coral! My question is: Is there anyone who has encountered hair algae growth on a fragile softie like my tree?? What was your removal method? I figure I'll just have to continue picking it off by hand and hope for the best. Should I quarantine this coral? Any ideas?

My setup (10gal. 2x55w pc's, 18 inch CPR fuge, couple aquaglobe ph's, auto top off)has been running since christmas and all water parameters are good. RO/DI waterchange 20% every 2-3wks. Inhabitents include LPS, SPS, softies, shrooms, zoo's and a small pseudochromis and neon goby. Dose DT's, B-ionic, and Kent's Tech-I on a regular basis.

never had hair algae grow on a kenya but i've had cyano and dino all over the place. i'd pull out the hair around the coral as much as possible. i wouldn't quarantine the coral as that's unnecessary imo. you may want to do a wc or run some fresh carbon to polish the water a little if the tree still isn't responding. hth

Thanks tinyreef. I hooked up an AC mini last night with some chemipure. Hopefully this will stop any future outbreak. I spent a good amount of thime pulling off all of the hair I could , and then (I know this sounds harsh) took a toothbrush and ran it across the coral. I put NO pressure on the brusch but tried to use the bristles to snag the remaing algae. Needless to say the tree wasn't too happy last night but looked better this morning. We'll see what happens.

Archived