Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

coraline algae encrustation--desireable?

Bruce Dunphy

Bruce Dunphy

I'm gathering materials for my first nano-reef and should be up and running in a few months.

In browsing the pictures section, I have seen many tanks with coraline encrustation, and many comments of envious posters wishing for the same in their tanks.

Why is this encrustation desireable? I've run my 100 gallon aquarium for about a year now and I routinely scrape the stuff off the walls, powerheads, heater, etc. (I do this at the insistance of my wife, who, if she had her way, I'd be scrubbing the turbos with a wire brush!)

I know that it is a symptom of good tank health, but why is it desireable?

Someone please educate me on this.

Bruce

I can't speak for everyone but it adds a lot of nice color to the tank. It can easily get outta hand on the glass but everywhere else is cool with me.

Cameron

As Physh1 says, aescetics is likely. Also as you point out, if you have coralline covering everything, it means your doing something right.

Personal choice about where you leave it and where you scrape it. Functionally, a surface covered with coralline growth is less susceptible to becoming overgrown with less desireable microalgaes - like hair algae.

I've seen aquariums with the entire back covered in coralline that look stunning. I've seen others where it just looks shabby - as unpleasing as the green menace. You certainly aren't doing any harm by removing it - and if it preserves your marriage and keeps you in the hobby, I say bring on the razor blades.

it also cements the rocks into place over time. also, i believe i read that most of the aragonite found in reefs are derived from coralline so they are a significant contributor to the actual body or structure of the reef.

coralline also consumes/competes with algae as pala notes. it also provides a (more?) suitable surface for corals to grow on. ime i've found corals grow over coralline more easily/quickly than bare rock for some reason. ???

diversity is becoming the catch phrase of late too. different coralline adds to biodiversity and from their own nanoplankton generation (i.e. spores and/or gametes).

the various pinks and purple colors are a trip too! ooo, pretty colors! B)

Bruce Dunphy

Thanks for the input. I've decided to grow a good crop on the back glass of my nano and keep the other surfaces cleanly shaved.

Archived