Innovative Marine Aquariums

Eheim 2213 for tiny tanks?

Sausage

I was wondering, is an Eheim 2213 external canister suitable for a 1 foot cube tank? I understand that marine tanks need higher flow rates than freshwater.

I plan to keep soft corals and mushrooms, and maybe other small mobile inverts. No anemones nor clams.

OxInYourBox

Don't run the 2213 with media and you could use it for water flow (the spray bar is used by many here hooked up to a mini jet or other powerhead) and occasional carbon (what size in gallons is the tank?). The size of the tank will dictate how much flow you need. An advantage of the canister filter is that you'll add some more water to the total sytem water volume. The flow is rated at 100gph or so (I had one myself for FW systems but I can't remember the exact flow) which would be fine for a small tank with mushrooms and some soft corals.

Rocket_155

the only problem with cannister filters, is if you have a power outage and the filter turns off , you end up trapping good bacteria in the filter. Then depending on how long the power is off for bacteria will die off and cause either an ammonia or a nitrate spike, which could cause the death of your tank.

Just my 2c

I'll only use it for mechanical filtration and water movement. The tank will have lots of live rock. What I need to know is, is the basic flow rate suitable for a 1 foot tank?

Archived