Pod Your Reef

is this a GSP or not?

steelrain

I bought this coral the other day, i thought it was GSP but now it doesn't look like some of the other ones i have seen, there is no purple "mat"

under them there is more like a green skeleton and the stems of the polyps are long and almost see through...

it is very floresent green not dark green but i guess that is my actnics.

Any ideas??

new.jpg

If there are 24 tentacles per poly then its Goniopora. If there are 12 tentacles per polyp, it's Alveopora. Looks like more than 12 tentacles...so it's prolly Goniopora as Reefphreak said. It's one of the most difficult corals to keep in captivity since no one is truly certain of its needs. they almost always end up wasting away in a matter of a few months to a year. It's a shame since it's one of the most beautiful corals out there.

Agreed Acoustic. I'm thinking it's probably Kryptonite!! Seriously though, They seem to be mostly from very nutrient rich places from what I've read so there may be an odd element that supplies their needs that we havent tried yet. Let's hope some one figures it out someday... I would certainly love to have one but until that day comes I would rather not kill so beautiful a coral.........

I have read that the this coral lives specifically in the lagoon reefs, and therefore there is indeed a factor or factors which we megar humans have not yet extracted. If you want to grow it I suggest finding specimens in the wild and doing water changes with the water that it is found growing in. You might want to immitate the substrate, lighting and flow conditions as well. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Only a handful have successfully kept it for long durations. If you could track one of those people down and examine their tanks that could be helpful as well.

From what I have heard and seen from some of the reefers and LFS owners around here, you need to dose heavily with phytoplankton. Some people here have had theirs for upwards of 2+ years. Is it also true that there are two varieties of goniopora? One with longer tentacles than the other? If so I've also heard that the shorter variety is a lot hardier. Then again, it could just be an Alveopora. HTH, worth a try anyway. But be careful, overdosing phyto will lead to red slime algea.:D

• 3 weeks later...

I have kept 2 alveoporas with my dad, one for 2 years and the other for 18 months successfully in our tank. Our water quality isn't the highest and we are always on the borderline for dinoflagelate(sp?) blooms. The Alveoporas are thriving in the tank most likely because of the nutrients. Recently when we moved a candy cane because it had grown too big for where it was, we noticed a small alveopora on the back of it too. The candy cane had been in the same place for at least a year, and the alveopora was positioned on the candy cane so it was under a rock and would be getting near no light. We are now trying to decide where to move the new alveopora. It's been a while since we dosed the tank with phytoplankton, so it must just be other things in the water.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
CalciumOverdose

IMO, goniopora's are hit and miss

when buying them, make sure to ask your lfs where it came from

bali goniopora does well under captivity..

but almost all sold in the US are all transhipped from philippines and vietman..which do not live well in captivity..

just for the record, before bashing me, i have a 5 1/2 year old bali goniopora..

CalciumOverdose, did you talk with Eric Borneman about your experience? He may be very interested in it. Just in case you don't know, he is a well known author, coral expert, and mod in the Reef Central coral forum, who is studying the lives of these corals in captivity and has publicly requested to talk to people like you.

Archived