Coral Vue Hydros

Iodine levels read zero

kappa

This is the first time I have tested for Iodine in my three years of nano reefing. The levels read 0ppm Iodide & 0 ppm Iodate.

I was shocked to know about this, and started to dose iodine with Salifert Iodine. I don't know if the Salifert Iodine will work though, so I might switch over to another product, like WM.

Corals like the hardy Xenias, yellow polyps, and certain lps and soft corals always died in my system.

I switched over to Tropic Marine salt a few months ago in hopes for better trace elements. So far, I don't think it's any better than Instant Ocean.

Kappa

IMO, Regular TM is no better than IO. Try the reef formula of either brand, they're both good. Either Reef Crystals from the makers of IO, or TM Pro Reef. They're a bit more, but worth it.

I'm no expert, but i remember reading that Iodine (Iodide/Iodate) is absorbed very quickly in closed systems, and can be rather hard to test for. Lemme try and look that back up...

Well, I found this article:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm

Which does mention that Iodine gets absorbed quickly and converted six ways from sunday by various processes, making it hard to test for, but doesn't really go into why.

Here's a quote from Randy Holmes-Farley:

I do not presently dose iodine to my aquarium, and I do not recommend that others do so, either. Iodine dosing is much more complicated than dosing other ions due to its substantial number of different naturally existing forms, the number of different forms that aquarists actually dose, the fact that all of these forms can interconvert in reef aquaria, and the fact that the available test kits detect only a subset of the total forms present.
Maybe a limited test kit is why you're reading 0.00ppm.

I found this here: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php#17

I'm no expert, but i remember reading that Iodine (Iodide/Iodate) is absorbed very quickly in closed systems, and can be rather hard to test for. Lemme try and look that back up...

I read about this, so I bought and used the salifert Iodide/Iodate test kit. Thanks for confirming this for me. I have been adding Iodine to my ATO ever since I tested low Iodine.

Thanks for the article, I am going to read it now.

I dont see the need to add iodine to any tank other than one with really poor water quality, stocked full of stuff that actually uses iodine... like a shrimp rearing tank.

for a tank that gets regular partial water changes and is fed properly, iodine really shouldnt be necessary. i certainly dont trust our hoby test kits.

if you have anything that molts like shrimp or crabs, then i highly discourage adding iodine... it can really screw up their molting cycle (leading to premature death) and even kill them right off if you add it at the wrong time.

I put 2.5ml cap full into the tank, and 2.5ml into the ato. Hopefully everything will be alright. Thanks for the input.

Kirin1, thanks for the advance aquarium article. I read it all, and learned that, all the research that has been done on iodine in closed aquarium is unknown whether or not it is needed or not.

P.S. I am running a sacro domanant tank.

Archived