Top Shelf Aquatics

YACQ (Yet Another Cycling Question)

mjschomer

I setup my 20H with 30lb of Kaelini cured live rock and 20lb of "live" sand from Nature's Ocean. Nature's Ocean claims "No Waiting...Just Add Fish". I figured this was a bit of an exaguration, but figured it would speed the process up a bit. After the 2nd day I had a small ammonia and nitrite spike that lasted a couple days. After that everything went to zero. I waited about a week and added one Ocellaris Clownfish. A week later and everything is still reading at zero. I have been feeding my little clownfish relativly heavily (2-3 times a day).

Is this normal? have any of you used the Nature's Ocean Live Sand? I'm thinking about adding a cleanup crew at this point, but I want to make sure the cycle is really over.

Natures Ocean sand is ready to go out of the bag and the rock sounds like it is cycled. I'd still take it slow for a few more days an make sure nothing changes. Sounds like everything is going pretty smoothly. I've used that sand many times and have been very happy with it.

Cameron

Cool, that's what I was hoping for. A product that actually does what it claims... amazing!

I will take it slow, but I do need a cleanup crew. I'm seeing a lot of algea growth of different kinds (the not-so-good kinds like brown, green hair, bubble, etc.) I added some grape caulerpa in hope that it would take some nutrients away from the bad stuff.

Archived