Pod Your Reef

Where did all the " Pods " go?

HogWinslow

HogWinslow

I used to have millions of Pods. Maybe even billions. Over night they disapeared. I only see one or two now. Any ideas what could have killed them so fast? Is this a warning my tank is about to crash?

Hog

I use to have a lot of pods also until I got my 2 false percs which probably munched on a lot of them.

Test your water to see if anything is out of wack

Pod populations will flux up and down. Sometimes you will seem to notice more amphipods, and less copepods and vice versa. My tank, about six months ago, looked like static there were some many amphipods on the sand bed. I have no true pod eaters, with the exception of the scavenging hermit. Then nothing, could not find one amphipod. About a month goes by and now I have tons of copepods crawling around. I wouldn't sweat it. But if you are anxious to give the pod population a boost, you could get some donation of LS from established tanks, or you could buy an amphipod culture kit and hatch your own (similair to hatching brine shrimp), or you could actually buy them live on line. I know Florida aqua farms sell amphipods in a small starter batch of 20 animals, or in a whopping two pound lot.

Good luck

I've always had amphipods, never seen a copepod. Although some are so tiny I can't tell what they are.

Did you introduce new rock and/or livestock before your pods dissapeared?

Archived