inTank Media Baskets

help identifying these corals

chufa

I need a hand in confirming the identity of these two corals. On top is what I think is a torch coral, courtesy of FlyGTI. I have never seen one this color before.

The one on the bottom was sold to me as a torch. But I have my doubts and I think it is a plate coral instead (Heliofungia actiniformis). Polyps are way too large, and the mouth disk is striped. The skeleton is smooth, unlike the rougher ones I have seen in Euphyllia. If it is a plate, I am concerned it may quickly outgrow my tank.

Oh, I forgot the pic. BTW, those dead heads you see are from my late frogspawn killed by the heater malfunction, in case you consider them for ID'ing the others.

BTW, just got back from doing some searching. The lower torch has a branching skeleton. Are fungia/heliofungia strictly plate-sheped skeleton?

SeaMountain

Sweet colorations! If my new torch ends up half as vivid as whatever it is you have pictured... I'll be a happy guy! :D

BTW... Is there any rock under your coralline?! ;)

Glad to see that that piece that I gave you is doing well!

To all others, I've got some more of this, if you're interested. PM me for details.

Later!

Thanks, SM, yes, that Florida Aquacultured rock came packed with coralline!

After researching plate corals, which I was not familiar with, I can completely rule that out. The skeleton is not a plate, but rather branched like an Euphyllia's. I have made my judgement on polyp fetures only, how dumb X)

• 2 weeks later...

FlyGTI, I think you are right. As it is maturing, it is showing more nodules along the tentacle, not just at the tips. Thanks for the tip!

BTW, that link showed a pic of a toch just like the one on the bottom, so I think it is a torch, not elegance.

Archived