Coral Vue Hydros

my tank

jay2k2

Hey guys I finally got a job. Now my ultra budget 25 gallon tank can have some half-decnt ###### for it.

I tell you specs. 25 gallon AGA. 2X20 watt NO, 1 NO is 10,000 and the other is actintic. and also a 1X15 watt NO Power-Glo Bulb.

The habitants are 2 clowns and a firefish. Some yellow polyps that are dieing slowy, GSP that are kinda on their way back and a toadstool and finger leather!

The ultra soft stuff i put in there is doing ok.

But I am wondering what the brown film on the top of the water is. When i stick my arm in the tank it like hardens to my skin and stinks like ass, when I take it out. Also I am seeing some crazy dark red stuff that sticks everywhere and when you break it the inside is like a white colour its like a film. I know the tank is very healthy. Does anyone know what this is?!

And I am looking to get new lighting for a 25 gallon

24x12 tank any suggestions?

Comments!

I have a "brown film" on the surface of my water as well. It has been there except for a brief time when I ran a Hagen surface skimmer (intake) on my AquaClear 150. This alleviated the surface film problem but I had this big ugly freaking tube thing in my tank! Nano reefs are generally too small for big ugly freaking tube things! The film never really seemed to cause any problems so I took the surafce skimmer out and have had no problems.

The "red stuff" you are referring to may be coraline algae forming? Coraline algae is also not necessarily a bad thing. It sounds like you may not have enough light for it to encrust. Not sure on this. Can you post pics?

For lights: ahsupply.com has a few good solutions. The 2 x 55 kit would work nicely with the 24" enclosure (for about $100). You would have about 4.5 watts per gallon. This is sorta a DIY kit and would save you some money if you are into DIY.

Your brown film is plain old cyano bacteria. Don't worry it's gonna get worse. At one time when my tank was only a week old I had clumps of it lifting off the sand and floating around. It eventually went away and the hair algae took over. It's just part of your biological cycle.

You can always mop it up with a paper towel. I realized this after working in my tank and noticing that the film was gone after I had my arms in a lot. Turns out it was all sticking to my arms.

One time I looked in my refugium after not looking in for a long long time, and I had 2" of brown foam. Now thats nasty.

I bought one of those a while ago on e-bay from them for around$100. The hood is pretty decent and it is still working 1 1/2 years later. The only thing I would suggest is that you order it over the phone. The reason being is you will need to request that they install endcaps. Mine came with wire pins which you slip over the Bulb pins. needless to say I was not happy. But I have seen many others post about their hoods and say they ordered them with the endcap. But that you had to ask for it.

For the price it works fine.

yellowtang

The bakpak 2 skimmer is suppose to be good.Dont get a red sea skimmer.I will be ordering a Aqua-c remora pro from marine depot for 230$ for my 29gal.I've heard allot of good things about them and my friend has one so thats what im getting.

I think a skimmer is what you should get first.

As for lights I bought a 2x55watt kit from www.ahsupply.com and built a custom hood.I did buy a 36watt light from www.petsupplyliquadator.com and it's pretty nice.But if I were you I would go with the retro kit.

yellowtang

Well i dont have any experience with red sea skimmers but everyone I talk to who has one tells me not to bother and just go with a better skimmer.So maybe there fine I dont know but, I'm not gonna take the chance and waste my money.Plus I want a skimmer that could handle a larger tank in the future.

BUt you have to remember, they are both fairly expensive, plus the red sea is on sale where i live locally. And also they don't sell CPR 2 backpaks!

I live in Canada so it is more money!

What about ordering from marinedepot.com? maybe the red sea would be fine but its like i said....blablabla refer to previous post

Fire Marshall Dave

I got a bak pak off of ebay for $103 shipped. The seller was Aquarium Addicts.

From some of the prices I've seen online and especially locally I thought it was a great deal.

Dave

Archived