SaltCritters.com

Freshwater Dip

thapatient

hey guys

after reading a lot up on introducing fish into the tank i've came across the freshwater dip but i'm getting mixed reviews on it's benefits. from what i've read it will help eliminate diseases before they can enter the main tank but i also heard that i could kill the fish this way. i was just wondering if any of you guys have tried it and would you recommend it.

thanks

patient

so you dunk them in freshwater to kill off diseases??? Sounds interesting, i have herd of people doing this to corals, is it the same procedure?

so you dunk them in freshwater to kill off diseases??? Sounds interesting, i have herd of people doing this to corals, is it the same procedure?

from what I've read, you set-up you're QT with freshwater with the same ph and temperature as the tank and have it an air stone running on high in it. They also recommend adding an ammonia eliminating product as the fish will take a crap. Also they suggest adding some medicine to the water such as methylene blue or something with nitrofurazone in it. Then after acclimating your fish with you tank water you place him in the QT for about 5-10 minutes.

yeah, thats why I have never done it. Too many steps for risk it may save. But i will be watching this, maybe it's time to start diping new fish to my aquarium.

yeah, thats why I have never done it. Too many steps for risk it may save. But i will be watching this, maybe it's time to start diping new fish to my aquarium.

it's really not that many steps and if it helps prevent infections from entering my tank i think i'll do it. just thought I'd ask the fellas from www.nano-reef.com for their experiences.

Archived