inTank Media Baskets

New Eclipse 12

acaterino

I've had a 55gl FW for about 10 years now with a mix of different species. I have finally decided to take the plunge into the Nano-Reef game, but I am starting out with FOWLR.

Equipment:

Eclipse System 12 with bio wheel

Mini-Jet 404 powerhead

100 Watt heater

13lbs LR

3 inch LS bed

Standard 13 Watt CF that came with system (I plan to upgrade this to the 32 Watt CF from CSL before adding corals).

Both the LR and LS came from an established tank from my LFS and according to him the tank should be cycled in about a week since the LR and LS came from and established tank. I waited a week and took him a water sample for testing and there was no ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates present and he said I was ready for fish, so I purchased some.

LiveStock:

2 Blue Damsels (now deceased, hince the reason I'm here)

1 Green Brittle Star (still alive)

I woke up Saturday and found one of the damsels belly up on the bottom. I removed him and then tested the water myself. The ammonia level was at 1.5 and the nitrites were really high as well. I did about half a water change to try to save the rest of the livestock.

I woke up this morning and the other damsel was also belly up, but not quite dead. I removed him from the take and euphonized him. I retested the water the ammonia was down above 0 but less than 1 and the nitrites were down as well. I did another half water change this morning.

If I had to guess as to what is going on, I would say my LFS lied and the tank was not completely cycled. Any opinions? My LR is covered with a hair algae and I would like to get some blue leg crabs and snails before it gets out of hand, but I'm afraid right now the tank is completely cycled and they may die.

Also, I've read good and bad things about the green brittle star. I would like to get everybody else opinion.

Tony

Welcome to the boards,

Hopefully, you have other LFS options than the one who was a little unclear on the concept. I'd also insist that they credit you the cost of the damsels.

The addition of the two fish immediately overwhelmed the bio-capacity of your new system. Mistakes are inherent to the hobby - chances are, you just made one that you won't make again.

If your liverock already has hair algae on it, I recommend removing as much of it as you can. (Hands or an old toothbrush work great) Keep your photoperiod brief, or don't use the light at all. Also, hold off at least two weeks on any more purchases. Once you have no measurable ammonia or nitrite, get yourself some cleanup critters - here again opinions vary, but hermits and snails are the norm. My rec is start with a 1/2 dozen snails. If all your tests remain stable for another week, go for 1 fish. My personal fave is the royal gramma, beautiful, hardy, and not a terrible bully with other additions. Don't add another fish for at least 2 weeks.

All of this may sound conservative - and others will tell you that you don't have to go so slow. If you do move slowly over the next few weeks it will work ... promise. Keep us posted.

Whoops. Missed the bit about the bio-wheel. As cajastan recommends, and most other folks here would agree, remove the wheel.

Thanks for the information. I will give it a try.

My LFS also thinks the pH is too low. Right now it is a 7.8. He recommended adding a buffer. Any other suggestions. Personally I don't like adding chemicals, I prefer doing things naturally.

Yeah, that pH is too low. Be sure to keep your salinity up too. 1.025 or so.

Here's a wealth of info on setting up a new nano.

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/

It is well worth the time it takes to read through these and if you have questions that you don't see covered in these articles we'll be glad to help!

Archived