Coral Vue Hydros

New Mini-Bow

seabass

Here's my new office nano. It has just finished cycling.

060203.jpg

I have a couple of different algae growing on my rock. What would be a good choice to control this growth?

algae.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Tank Specifications:

· 7 Gallon AGA Mini-Bow 7 Aquarium/Hood Combo

· 32W CustomSeaLife Super Nova SmartLite Retrofit

· 50mm QuietPC Case Fan for the hood

· GFI Power Adapter, Power Strip, and Timer (running an 11 hour light cycle)

· Natural Wave Pump Timer (cycles power between the Micro-Jet pumps)

· Two Micro-Jet MC 320 Pumps

· 50W Visi-Therm Deluxe Heater

· Grasslin Rondomatic 400 Automatic Feeder

· AquaTech 5-15 HOB Filter (no BIO-Wheel / made by Marineland for Wal-Mart)

· 1 ounce Seachem SeaGel (Carbon/PhosGuard mix) in a 4" x 6" E-Z Close Media Bag

· Penguin Rite-Size "A", Mini Filter Cartridges (when mechanical filtration is needed)

· 2” Bed of Nature’s Ocean Live Reef Sand

· 10 Lbs of Fiji Live Rock

· Daily Top Offs with RO/DI Freshwater

· Weekly Water Changes with 1 Gallon Instant Ocean Mixed Saltwater

Hitchhikers: A couple of Stomatella Snails and a brittle starfish

Future Livestock: 1 Black Perc, 1 Blue Leg Hermit Crab, 2 Nassarius Snails, 2 Cerith Snails, and assorted corals

Tank Conditions: 78°F; SG 1.024; pH 8.2

SeaMountain

Looking good there seabass! :)

Where'd you get your LR from?

The green looks like Bubble Algae. It can be controlled by pinching it off. (I'm referring to the bubble algae here seabass!) I did toss in an Emerlad Crab and it ate all my bubble algae in a matter of days.

The red stuff looks like plain ol' red macro. Watch it and trim it if you need to.

Looks like your ready for some occupants! Nice job! B)

Thanks. I’m bringing down my Nitrates with WC's (Nitrates are currently in the 10 to 50ppm range). I'm ready to start slowly adding my livestock over the next two or three weeks; by then, my Nitrates should be good for corals too.:)

SeaMountain, I got my LR from my LFS. I figured the critters would hold up better and I could be a little more selective if I bought it local (Des Moines).

BTW, it’s been about 20 years since I’ve kept fish and I’m totally new to SW tanks. This forum has been a fantastic resource! I always thought that SW tanks needed to be 20-gallons or more, so I never considered them until I was directed to this site. Thanks to everybody that posts here.

reefphreak

I remember when mine looked that clean about 4 months ago. Looks great! Nice amount of lr. I overdid mine at first with too much lr.

reefphreak

Hey SeaBass, did you go to Adam's, Iowa Pet, or The Reef Connection?

I was at Adam's yesterday, and they've got some pretty nice rock, but God almighty, they want a lot for it! $7.50/lb. is just too much, even for good rock!

I saw those black percs last night too. Sweet!

Later.

My tank is downtown, so I got the rock from Adam's, but you're right, it's very expensive. Also, the red macro algae is really taking off, so I'm hoping that water changes will get their nutrients (Nitrates) down so it doesn't flourish quite so much.

I think that Adam's and The Reef Connection have better livestock than Iowa Pet. I was planning on getting a Black Perc, but I was out at The Reef Connection last night and saw a little Ocellaris that was too hard to pass up. He was small, bright orange, tank-raised, healthy, and had been there for two weeks. I'd post a picture, but he's so active that all you can see is a blur.

btw- where do you get your RO water? Adam's doesn't sell water, so I've gotten it at Iowa Pet and Wal-Mart.

Archived