Coral Vue Hydros

So far my nano has cost me...

Vincerama

I'm not even set up yet, but here is what I have spent...

Tank = A current FW tank that will be converted, the original kit was about $40 with hood and crappy incandescent light (NOTE: A CF bulb fits in these!)

HOB = A Marineland Penguin with BioWheel that is servicing the FW plant tank, it was probably $20, but I can't remember. It will be in the nano as a source of water movement

145GPH submersible pump = $8 on sale from Harbour Freight, don't know if it will work yet

Lights = Ugh, I'm an idiot, I ordered a 1x36W Bright kit from ahsupply, then decided I SHOULD have ordered the 2x36, so I bought another 1x36w. This folly cost me ($41 for kit + $20 for 50/50 bulb + $8 shipping) x 2 ~= $160, when it SHOULD have cost me ($62 for dual kit + $40 for bulbs + $8 shipping) = $110. OR if I were actually smart about shopping, I should have gone to HelloKitty, er I mean HelloLights and bought the 20" 96W for less than $100 on sale now!

Hood = 3 pieces of scrap wood = $3, plus some nails and glue about $2 worth.

RO undersink unit with tank = $140 with shipping (I don't mind, I want to drink the water too)

AND I haven't even got any Live Rock/Sand yet! Nor do I have any salt mix, or a hydrometer or a chem test kit!

I've spent about $400 bucks already and have nothing but a livingroom full of stuff and enough packing peanuts to fill a swimming pool! :*(

But whenever my bank account groans, I look at the nano-reef.com member tanks and it all seems worth it...or it better be!

:)

Well, I look forwarded to joing the nano-club!

V

I think the last time I added it up it was $ 1,650.00 for my complete 20g and RO/DI unit. I didn't do much DIY stuff, except for drilling my holes in the tank, which I still had to buy the $ 68.00 bit to do that.

This figure doesn't include rock, coral or salt.

Dont add up what you have spent......just buy it and use it! :P

You will start to kill your-self on how much you spent.....

ahh...don't feel bad..I just plunked down $250 today for the new 29 setup junk...and thats for bare bones stuff as I'm cannibalizing the 10 in the process for the 29. Oh..btw..that $250 doesn't include the rock I've still got to buy once the sand settles..lol. The $250 got me the tank, stand, some salt, 2 new PH's, a thermometer, a new heater, a new AC 200..and they threw 30 gallons of RO water at me for free...I think just to get me to leave the freakin' store after dancing around picking things out for an hour and a half..lol. So..if you include the total setup for the 10 I have right now...plus the 29 thats being set up....hmmm..I think that puts me in the almost $1000 range for my nano..lol.

Have fun!

c_k_kuehne

Here's how I look at it.

Take the total cost of all equipment for the setup.

Include even the little items such as nails, spay paint ect...

Do not include any livestock or expendables like salt, calcium additives ect...

Divide that number by the size of tank in gallons and see what you come up w/.

Here goes my main system and my minibow 7:

58 gal inwall main system -- $5,000 / 58gal = $86.21 dollars per gallon

7 gal minibow nano --- $386 / 7gal = $55.15 dollars per gallon

Not sure what this tells me other than my main system cost a fortune and my nano I paid for by selling frags from my main system.

threeman33

Well I am building a 29 gal nano as well. Before I started I got a quote for everything including water and LR. The bottom line price was about $650 and that is with everything discounted! Then I have to buy the other livestock.

id say my 5.5 has absorbed around $400. Not bad when compared to a larger sized tank like my 55 where the lights alone where $440.... :)

I'm currently putting together a 180 gallon In-Wall reef tank. Good Lord I thought a nano was bad but this is looking beyond ridiculous.

:P

Keng Yew, Leong

I've spent around $500 on my 4 gallon......but there's something worst,I lost $300 worth of discus a while ago.....:*(

deacon hemp

i've spent around $2000 on a 18 gal and 4 gal,and two days ago my monster jaguar cichlid killed a $150 pleco........my fault prolly thou.

I think I'm probably somewhere around $2000 on my 28 gal (now reset into a 20g L). I'd like to think that I did my 90 cheaper (for now, anyway). No livestock in the 90 yet, and I think I'm near $1000 on it so far. Tank was a freebie, stand and canopy cost $175, lighting about $120 (110w PC driven by a CSL ballast), rock was about $220, filters were $150 (not bad for 2 CPR BakPaks). There's got to be more to this tank than that...oh yeah. Heater for $25 but still, that only brings the cost up to near $700.

Nah...that math can't be right!

Later.

man if i added up all the tanks and livestock ive had in my life that ive paid for ide be damn near 5000 and im only 20. but is it all worth it? ya....do i still sit in front of my tank for hours a day and stare...yes of course. thats why doctors recommend these..no matter how much money they cost they are still therapuetic(spelling) but ya its a great hobby that is very very expensive

Archived