Coral Vue Hydros

Clown/Anemone in a Nano?

Nullig

people have but you will find a lot of people telling you about the problems anemones can cause in small tanks.

Do a search on anemones before you jump out and buy one.

Look on the articles section also, and you will find a rather discouraging one. Also, most likely tank bred clowns have lost their hosting instincts.

From what I have heard around here, clowns still host a lot of different things, from power heads and heaters to rocks and corals shrimp. Anenomes can live well in small tanks but they can foul the water and kill everything iof and when they die. Unliek fish they do not float to the surface to annouce "hey I'm dead, take me out now.". By the time you note their passing they have probably polluted the water.

but they can foul the water and kill everything iof and when they die. Unliek fish they do not float to the surface to annouce "hey I'm dead, take me out now.". By the time you note their passing they have probably polluted the water.

The above statement is mostly untrue. An anemone will not wipe out a tank. In very RARE instances, it "might". However, the later seems to be the gospel on the net these days.

Anemones can live in tanks 7gal and up. Smaller species can live in any size tank. This is based on the fact that you have proper lighting, water and your tank has gone through the "setup" stage. This usually is over in a month or so. Waiting 6 months and even years is very bad nfo. This is NOT true and should be discarded like week old trash.

Now, I am not saying you should go out and grab yourself an anemone and plop him in - nope - give us some specs and we will give you some nfo. There are alot of good threads here to read and get you off on the right foot.

I myself have 3 anemones in my 28 right now. I had 4, but sent one off for a trade. I origionally had 5. Anemones will sting certain corals and they will move on occasion if they are NOT happy, but once they find a home - they usually stay put.

The MAIN THING you need to be carefull of if you decide to keep an anemone in a small tank is the POWERHEAD! Cover it with a sponge. Otherwise, your anemone might go roaming and get sucked up. The strainer that comes with it, is NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Good luck and if you have some more questions or want to share some nfo about your tank, we all are here! :D

I am setting up a nano in a 10 gal, with the tank sectioned off into 3 partitions, 70% display, 20% refugium and 10 % heater and powerhead. I'm not sure what I'll be putting in, but I have LS/LR from 2 established tanks, as well as some new LS/LR, some caulerpa for the fuge along with some LS and LR rubble. I'm planning to have 56 or 72 watts of lighting over the display area and 9 watts over the fuge.

I was thinking I would do either a Watchman Goby/Pistol Shrimp tank or a Clown/Anemone tank. I'm just researching the options.

I'd like to hear accounts any of you might have related to your successes or failures in keeping a clown/anemone in a nano.

Thanks,

Noel

I currently have a rose bta(which I've had for about 5 months) and a normal bta in my 18 gallon. I used to have two normal bta's(I bought one about 7 months ago and it split which gave me two) but I got rid of one to make room for corals.

So far so good, like I said earlier my original bta split in my tank which I think is a good sign. My rose has gotten a lot bigger since I bought it and I'm hoping it too will eventually split.

Originally posted by Spencerx

what kind do you have in your tank abs? in my 55g i have a condy...

I currently have a rose, sebae and another BTA. I had another rose in there and a ritteri. I traded the rose to tow-up. The ritteri did not make it for some very odd reason. We are going to try again soon.

The rose has split 3 times in this tank. The sebae looks as tho it is going to split, as well as the rose (again).

Archived