Coral Vue Hydros

Can someone please explain cycling?

sernger

I am currently confused about the process of cycling. I read that it usually takes about 30 days to complete, and it all depends on what you have. I understand what goes on during the cycle, like the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels increasing and decreasing till zero. My question is what do I do during this cycling process. Suppose I just bought myself a 10 gallon tank and filled it with liverock and livesand. Now the cycling process begins. I should measure the levels of pH and ammonia and nitrate, and other various chemicals. I should maintain the 10-12 hours of light each day. Is that all right? And the main question is, do I change 10% of the water every week during the cycle? And I can only add fishes after the cycle right? I would really appreciate any imput. Thanks

Sounds like the gist of it is...

1) Stick in your LR/LS

2) Set your lights to be on 10-12 hours per day

3) I guess, keep your pumps pumping to circulate the water

4) Leave it along, except to test for ammonia or nitrites, but this is to test if the cycle is going along as planned and to help determine when the spiking is done and thus a good indication of when the cycle is done.

5) When the cycle is complete, change 50% of the water to rid the tank of nitrates.

6) The next week, start your weekly 20% (or whatever) water change which is what you will now do for the rest of your (or the tank's) life!

So don't change the water during the cycle, but change out 50% when the cycle is done. Leave the lights on (for 10-12 hours) to keep the LR/LS from becoming expensive lumps of dead rock and sand.

Does this sound like a proper synopsis?

V

Archived