Cultivated Reef

Why remove the stock filter on BC14?..and advice on modes

Nanoized

I still use the stock filter... I like the idea of having the water forced thru the carbon.

I dremeled the slot where the stock filter sits so now its closer to the front of the tank. My heater is there.

I'm surprised so many people take it out. Is it only cost that makes people remove it?

Some other modes to my tank,

Changed pump to MJ 900 and changed the nozzle to a Hydor Flo

Widened gap from Right chamber (when facing tank) to middle chamber for more flow (was required).

I've removed my bioballs and am waiting for for the LED external light from nanotuners (the damn expensive one).

I'm planning a cheato refugium only. I want only macroalgae back there or am I in for other surprises?

I don't want to do LR as I want the chamber to be easily cleaned and and maintained.

I've placed phosban in the Left chamber where the blue sponge was in hopes that water is pushed thru the media.

Does this make it a nitrate factory?

Do I need phosban when the refugium is set up?

If I remove the media bag and have no filter between my pump and the cheato will the cheato damage the pump?

I have a reefkeeper2 and will place the PH probe in the left chamber (pump area) and temp gauge in the same spot.

My nitrates have been around 10 to 15 ppm...do you think the cheato refugium will be enough to reduce the nitrates to about 5ppm?

Lighting $#@%

I'm using stock lighting. I'm looking at the 70w Sunpod but it does not have actinics.

What am i missing without the actinics.

I plan on LPS's and hopefully a T max clam

(not interested in 150w lighting)

Any other advice on the modes or changes I should make?

Thx

Archived