Top Shelf Aquatics

120 Gallon Monster...mutates into a 156 Gallon Beast!

eddie29

well heres my luck....

one of them hit a stud the other not so much....not a big deal because they said you a rather confusing kit but its rather effective on supporting the weight...

now my fear....I can't center the damn thing

Tek - 4

Eddie - 0

My roof might look like swiss cheese by the time I'm done

it doesn't help that I ran a nice 59 dollar tab at the bar during happy hour

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the 48" 6 bulb fixture WITH bulbs is 799 and without is 719, obviously it makes sense to buy the bulbs since its 20 or so a bulb. I ended up with the Limited Edition Tek Fixture, improved reflectors versus the other ones and so far I'm pretty happy. When I had a 58, i used a 4 bulb 36" Tek fixture and my long plate coral was happy under 21" of water

cool, thanks for the info.

Tek - 4

Eddie - 0

My roof might look like swiss cheese by the time I'm done

it doesn't help that I ran a nice 59 dollar tab at the bar during happy hour

A) That's why I insist on getting a fixture with mounting legs.

B) $59 tab? How did you manage to walk out of the bar? Because that was either a lot of drinks, or you're going to a really expensive bar.

$59 tab would be nothing in UT. Our bars cost 10-20 bucks just to get in. Then its about a $10 a drink after that. Its a joke and is why I never go to any.

I went to my fraternity brothers restaurant so the 59 tab was drinks (grey goose/tonic and Mich Ultra) and steaks for 2 people, so not too bad I think. I'm going to give this another try but the ceiling is starting to look ugly...

well things are a bit better but I'm still needing to align things but at least its up before I leave to Orlando....heres some pics

tank%20125.jpg

tank%20126.jpg

Old Crappy 36" light, single bulb

tank%20121.jpg

New Light

tank%20128.jpg

Light Bulbs are

Aqua Blue

6500 GE Day Light

Aqua Blue

Super Actinic

11000 Aquasun

Aqua Blue

its a bit more blue then I care for, I'll probably toss the Super Actinic out and replace it with another daylight bulb but since I'm leaving tomorrow at 545 am I don't have much choice but to leave it Also I've been told it takes some time for the bulbs to get burned in enough for the true colors to really start showing...

Lighting looks good. Give it time before deciding to change bulbs. My new bulbs looked very blue but are getting more to my liking every day. If I was to replace any of the bulbs you have, I would keep the super actinic and instead replace one of the aqua blues with a 12k or 13k ATI or Geisseman

reporting in from orlando....

the women are amazing....and well the tank isn't. Dad said that today when he went to feed them that they tried to eat the food only to spit it out, I'm getting a bit worried. Perhaps they just miss me??? anyways throw in another prayer that I won't be restocking my tank when i get back...1.5 weeks till I'm back to my childern

well I got in at midnight last night, never flying delta again for sure.

Everyone is alive and best of all apparently the new lights have managed to bring out some surprises. One of the rocks that i've had in a bucket for 2 weeks waiting for the rods to come in and not having anything else besides a small powerhead has revealed some zoos. I'm really surprised they stayed alive with my crappy light.

The only thing that went bad was the algae. Its all over the place. I did a quick 10 gallon change, it was all the water I had at the moment to help things out a bit. I got some nice red algae on the sand and the back of the tank is all green. My dad called me from the lfs saying he was going to buy me a new fish so I had him pickup 10 turbos and 10 hermits. My foxface seems to be rather happy though with the algae, apparently my dad is getting me a yellow tang so hopefully between the snails, hermits and two algae eating fish it will take care of my immediate issue. The skimmer and sump will be FINALLY picked up on Monday. My Australian CBB is still kicking at the lfs, he'll come home this weekend after the skimmer has had a chance to do its job

sounds like everything is going good dude! you should of went with the Orca Reeflo skimmer lol, i think you would of been pleased, mine is HUGE, this thing is going to be great for my tank, congrats on the free fish, also let me know if you want anything from the pacific, i can get it in for you and im not ready to ship myself yet but i know dan at salty critter can ship for me

just out the updates in my thread later

Yeah I might have a few things in mind, just that I need to recover financially first after a two week spending binge in Orlando.

Here are some updated pics of the tank from this evening.

tank%20153.jpg

tank%20154.jpg

tank%20155.jpg

tank%20157.jpg

tank%20160.jpg

tank%20164.jpg

In the last pic you get a peak of what I came home too. 10 turbo snails have made short work on the algae but I still need some work to get the red algae from the sand off. Now that the lights have had some time to burn in, it looks really good. The camera does a really good job of capturing the true image except for the one with the goby.

Some of you may or may not know that I just recently graduated from college. While I was gone to Orlando I decided to spend my first big boy paycheck and get my diplomas framed.

misc%20003.jpg

haha nice. I can't wait till they are in Chicago next time and I can make it, hopefully if this audit job doesn't send me out to the middle of no where

found out they are sending me to the middle of no where....this oughta be fun

Congrats on graduation. I just graduated from law school, and I STILL need to get both my law and undergrad diplomas framed and into my office.) Too busy spending my adult money on my tank. Never mind wanting a tv and a mac.

Congrats on graduation. I just graduated from law school, and I STILL need to get both my law and undergrad diplomas framed and into my office.) Too busy spending my adult money on my tank. Never mind wanting a tv and a mac.

Yeah, I figured I'd do it now before they end up in a box like my parents are. The middle picture of the columns is actually from the "leather" binder they give you at graduation. The only thing is that I got my bachelors and masters so I didn't have room for both in the binder. I think I paid like 180ish which isn't has bad as I thought it might be

Archived