Pod Your Reef

Mushroom feeding question

plesiosaur

plesiosaur

I have read on the messageboard that mushrooms don't need much in the way of food given proper lighting.

My question is, should I still give my mushrooms liquid phytoplankton (like the LFS suggested) but on a sparse basis (twice a week) or is that still too frequent?

Mnesarchus

Remember, most LFS's are going to talk you into buying everything, most of which you will never need. I never feed my corals anything (including 2 different species of mushrooms) and they show tremendous growth. Keep your nitrates down and dont add anything you dont need to, keep the system as natural as possible.

Hiya,

All corals (including mushrooms) are carnivores -- phytoplankton (plant) will only feed the zooplankton (animal) that the 'shrooms actually do eat. Most people don't even bother feeding them directly; they survive, grow and multiply well enough on light and whatever critters they can snag from the water column. If you have fish or corals that you feed regularly, you'll have zooplankton aplenty for 'shrooms.

I think your LFS was just trying to sell you stuff ;)

plesiosaur

Yeah, I was a little skeptical when the food cost more than the mushroom frag itself, but I didn't want to seem like a cruel hobbyist by not getting food for the shrooms.

Thanks for the info, Masoch.

Archived