Cultivated Reef

Small Mantis

Giga

Any one know what a Really good small Mantis shrimp is? I have a Nano tank and want a really small(smallest adult) mantis shrimp????

well any haptosquillid mantis is about as small as you're likely to ever find. but they are pretty rare. and usually not terribly active either.

If your tank is somewhere between 5 and 20 gallons then just get an N. wennerae. great beginner mantis, usually very active, super hardy and, best of all, easily found. just order a mantis off of tampabaysaltwater.com. N. wennerae is the only kind they ever get.

O. havs are sweet mantids but I hesitate before encouraging one as a first mantis. they are pretty particular about water quality and it has been documented that even stirring up the sand sometimes kills em.

that's why the minimum tank requirement is 20gal... water quality. so unless you have pristine water in a small tank and will be diligent about keeping it that way, i wouldnt risk it. if you do have teh time to keep the tank as clean as it should be, then yes id say go for it because, after all, they are one of the best looking mantids out there imo.

althefishguy

justinl is correct water quality must be high can't handle changes in oxygen or sallt levels. Sorry not trying to give bad info. just suggesting nice small mantis. The link is actually to Dr. Roys page so all the info. is there about water requirements and his whole list of mantis and specs.

Was just trying to help

Al

Archived