ReefCleaners.org

Do you believe this?

HogWinslow

HogWinslow

I went to a new LFS the other day and on the counter they had a 2.5 gallon reef tank. 36 watts in the form of a PC, 3 inch sand bed w/plentum, live rock and a airstone. Nothing else. It had lots of different soft corals and coraline algae and it looked great. Thet told me the airstone moved enough water for circulation and that was it. No water changes for 2 years. Only maitance was water top off, glass cleaning and coral fraging when they go to large.

Does this sound resonable to you experienced guys?

Hog

chvynva916

Its certainly possible. Especially with soft corals that might love nutrient rich environments. If you really knew what you were doing such a setup could do just fine. Just beware of LFS setups. They could be doing algae cleanups twice a day and replaceing the corals twice a week and you'd never know it.

I "abandoned' my 3 gallon for quite a long time, and just did water changes. If you don't put any food in and nothing dies, then there are no nutrients to remove. Actually trimming the corals removes nutrients. I believe it.

very reasonable and doable. it's basically an Eng system. altho he did much larger systems i always felt air movement was a 'purer' format. a coarse airstone would be best in such a setup imo. i would slant an updraft tube to get a better movement (i.e. from one side of the tank to another) otherwise the air volume needed to really move the water may cause too much salt creep.

i believe perrin also has such a system but with specially designed raceways to promote flow. (still gotta get down to see it tho, i was just there thursday. i went to see the belle isle aquarium instead. X) )

but as chvy also points out, lfs have a habit of doing a slight of hand trick with setups. :

You beat me to the ID there tiny! Well read reefer.

Eng also used only natural sea water, rather than a mix. Unfortunately, his research was barely documented.

Archived