Top Shelf Aquatics

Should I...?

FLcracker94

6 members have voted

1. 1. should I keep the Emerald crabs (2) ? (nO light in sump BTW)

• Yes, Mithrax emeralds wont hurt most corals
    • No, they will destroy your coral
    • Yes, but put them in the sump
    • Not sure.

Ok, I'm not sure If I should Keep the emeralds...I plan on having LPS and softies for the tank, if that helps.

There is no light in the sump BTW, so not sure IF I should Put them in the sump.

I had one in my 29 gallon. He was cool for a while and then out of now where I caught him munching away on some zoas. He is no longer with me, I do not have a sump so back to the LFS he went. My vote if you want to keep them put them in the sump.

Nasty little critters. As I have said before that little fracker cost my almost $200.00 in coral in 1 night. It did not matter that I tried to feed him.

I've tried emeralds two different times and both ended badly. My first emerald was a model citizen for the first 3 months never bother anyone and happily munching at algae. Then after a molt that had him become about the size of a nickel he started trying to hunt down my fish and become very aggressive. He got to go and live in the LFS tank.

My second emerald within a week was found nibbling on my GSP so he quickly went to another's FOWLR.

Bottomline, I would never put any emeralds in a tank with something I would not want them to eat. They seem to grow up to be aggressive or eat coral IME.

kenthenanoguy

I won't vote on this topic...

I have read they have been known to 'NIP' at corals...But if you have bubble algae, they do eat it...

I've never had one go after any of any corals. If fact I've never had anything bother any of my corals.

The problem I've had, as you may already know, is keeping the little bastards alive.

So my vote (which isn't an option) is get the crab if you have a bubble algae problem. Otherwise you don't need one and it won't be able to eat any corals in your tank if it's not there to eat them.

So there it is clear as day...YES but NO.

- Ken

I won't vote on this topic...

I have read they have been known to 'NIP' at corals...But if you have bubble algae, they do eat it...

I've never had one go after any of any corals. If fact I've never had anything bother any of my corals.

The problem I've had, as you may already know, is keeping the little bastards alive.

So my vote (which isn't an option) is get the crab if you have a bubble algae problem. Otherwise you don't need one and it won't be able to eat any corals in your tank if it's not there to eat them.

So there it is clear as day...YES but NO.

- Ken

I support this statement.

I'll agree with Ken and Vic.

My first one only lasted about a year. He was cranky towards my clown for the first week or so, but was fine after that. I never saw him trying to eat any coral but he would sit in my pruple digitata at night. I just replaced him with a new one about a week ago. So far so good. Although, they will steal food from coral if they get the chance. It takes so long for my plate coral to ingest food that the crab will steal it away if it gets the chance......

fraggle rockette

i heart my emerald. he's red and he's only ever eaten fish food and algae as far as i'm aware. i'm a little worried that he's taken residence with my yasha in his burrow from time to time (b/c of nipping issues or whatever), but napoleon doesn't seem to mind- i think he likes having a little critter since his pistol dissappeared. they only argue over food- otherwise, they just kinda snuggle.

(obv im not the right person to get answers from... lol.)

uh ohhh.....ummm...I might of squished my emerald when I put the new rok in the tank....I wanted to put him in the sump, but my parents kept saying "don't worry, he'll move"...Squish. I think he's burried under a rock...Poor guy, I was gonna just take him back to the LFS...

Archived