Top Shelf Aquatics

The black/drab looking cucumber "safest" cucumber?

Lia

Hi

Wanted to add one of those inexpensive "common" drab cucumbers . I read some have toxins .

Anyone keep one. Tank is 30 gallon long 2 inches live fine sand . Was looking for a sand sifter but didnt want a fish .

thanks

People DO keep them. The toxic hazard is that if irritated or "spooked" they can expel their inner organs which can be toxic to the tank. I know some inverts can be toxic when they die, I'm not sure if cucumbers are one of those though. But many people do and have kept them succesfully.

People DO keep them. The toxic hazard is that if irritated or "spooked" they can expel their inner organs which can be toxic to the tank. I know some inverts can be toxic when they die, I'm not sure if cucumbers are one of those though. But many people do and have kept them succesfully.

thanks thats my concern if it dies just of old age would it still release toxins

in stress or in death they can release toxins. the only cuke i know that doesnt have toxins (or at least significantly strong ones) is the tiger tail cuke. that doesn mean you can abuse it, because it will spew its guts which would be a PITA to clean up and if unnoticed will decompose very fast.

note that you really shouldnt get a big one as a 30 gal tank probably couldnt support the cuke. a small one should be fine for a while though.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=712

in stress or in death they can release toxins. the only cuke i know that doesnt have toxins (or at least significantly strong ones) is the tiger tail cuke. that doesn mean you can abuse it, because it will spew its guts which would be a PITA to clean up and if unnoticed will decompose very fast.

note that you really shouldnt get a big one as a 30 gal tank probably couldnt support the cuke. a small one should be fine for a while though.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=712

Oh didnt think they got that big and dont want to get a small one than give it away will look at other options like hermits,etc

thanks

Archived