Cultivated Reef

New Eclipse 12 Nano Reef Started Today

KamDesai

Hello everyone.

I spent countless hours reading posts on this site about nano-reefs and I finally decided to switch my eclipse 12 over from a freshwater setup to marine. I used the CSL 32w retrofit for lighting, removed the bio-wheel, and added a powerhead for some extra circulation. I have 20lbs of LS and 21 lbs of LR. PH is around 8.0 (which I am trying to slowly raise), and SG is at around 1.021 (which I am also trying to slowly raise). A picture of the setup is attached. My questions:

1) Does the LR look like its in pretty good shape? I have read lots of posts on here where people had all kinds of random stuff that came living on the rock, but I am not really able to identify any.

2) Does this seem like adequate LR/LS?

3) When would it be safe to add some cleanup crew critters or something living?

4) Any tips on the layout of the LR? Can I make it a little more interesting? Also, is this an OK formation for adding in corals, etc later on?

Thanks and any input at all would be greatly appreciated as everything I know about making this successful comes from this message board.

Take care,

Also, should I have the lights on for 10-12 hours a day during the cycle or keep them off? LFS says keep them off until cycle is complete, but I have read conflicting advice on this board.

Thanks!

Archived