Coral Vue Hydros

Coral problelm

snoweel

Hi nano-reef I recently purchased a coral from my LFS not sure what type.. any how when I purchased the coral it was moving and closed up when the guy placed it in the bag. When I got home and placed it in my tank it opened and like 2days later stopped moving and I believe died.

Here are my questions...

1: After the coral died, I cleaned and scrubbed the rock and placed it back into the tank.. I read that new life can still grow on the rock its self... is this true ?

2: I have an eclipse 3 system are there replacement bulbs that have a higher wattage.

3: What's the diff between frags and actual corals ?

Can anyone recommend corals that won't die and will do well with the lighting from an eclipse 3 system?

darkfishy2690

How old is your tank? Do you test your water? There is probably something wrong with your tank that is causing this problem. Well anyway here are some answers:

1.yes stuff can grow on it again. If you are lucky the dead coral might have left flesh from it which could possibly grow again if conditions are right.

3. FRags are chunks of larger coral

Good corals are gsp, xenia, zoos, hammer, frogspawn

sounds like you had a xenia.....those lil ladies are tempermental....and dont like shifts in water quality....

as for your rock, its still alive....probably didnt really have to scrub it clean, but it doesnt hurt...

as for your tank....whats your watts per gal?? they say between 3-5 watts per gal but some have as much as 10 w/o any problems...

so in a 3 gal tank you need 9-15 watts to get it to thrive....

frags are a piece of coral that have been cut off to cultivate....

as far as a good starter coral....i suggest a green/brown button poylp...or maybe some shrooms, but thats if you have the proper lighting....

keep up with your water quality and have it lit properly and it should start getting easier for you!

good luck!

sounds like you had a xenia.....those lil ladies are tempermental....and dont like shifts in water quality....

as for your rock, its still alive....probably didnt really have to scrub it clean, but it doesnt hurt...

as for your tank....whats your watts per gal?? they say between 3-5 watts per gal but some have as much as 10 w/o any problems...

so in a 3 gal tank you need 9-15 watts to get it to thrive....

frags are a piece of coral that have been cut off to cultivate....

as far as a good starter coral....i suggest a green/brown button poylp...or maybe some shrooms, but thats if you have the proper lighting....

keep up with your water quality and have it lit properly and it should start getting easier for you!

good luck!

As far as salinity goes it's 1.21 I have to get a nitrate tester.... I have 2 gobies in the tank and never had any problems with them what so ever for the past 2 weeks...

I will take some pics and get the testers and inform everyone... I thx you all for your help and am

watts per gallon means nothing. it's the type of lighting that matters.

if you scrubbed the rock, chances are you scrubbed off all the living tissue that was left behind from the dead coral so it won't grow back.

to replace the bulb, you have to replace the ballast too.

as for corals that will grow in your tank, nothing will thrive but you might be able to keep some shrooms or button polyps alive.

check out other people's 3 gallon eclipse's. see what they've done and try to mimic it.

with 2 gobies in your tank, you will probably never have good water quality. 3 gallons is much too small for fish.

Tim

Archived