Cultivated Reef

HERMIT IDENTIFICATION!

SCUBALeah

Hello all,

I just bought some hermit crabs and asked the lady to grab 2 red mexican crabs, instead she grabbed a type of hermit that I have never seen before (3 of them). (silly fish store ladies!!) They are very agressive and I am scared to put them into my reef tank.

They have blue eye stalks w/bule eyes. A light grey/blue body with same color legs and the tips of the legs and claws are bright orange. They also have bright orange antanae.

When I pull them out of the water they will go to work on my fingers eating my skin!!!!!

What type of crab is this? I don't want them to eat my corals.

HeyLookItsCaps

blue leg or halloween, theyre alot bigger than the little ones huh.

my blue leg and halloween are fine. they dont attack aything thats alive. maybe your finger is dead! :o

post-17377-1187122422_thumb.jpgpost-17377-1187122411_thumb.jpgDefiantly not a blue leg or halloween, I know what those look like... Here is a picture of what this new little monster looks like!!

Maybe the crab likes human! I am gonna have bad dreams tonight! hah :P

They do not look anything like my Mexican red legs which have a burgandy color to them. These are much more grey/green/blue in body color.

kenthenanoguy

That looks a lot like a hermit I had! He was a jerk!

The lfs called it a white-spotted hermit. I bought him because he was in a sundial snail shell. He didn't like that shell very much and killed another hermit and stole his shell...He also killed another hermit for the fun of it. He then lived in my fuge (Aquaclear 30, used to grow chaeto).

I've also had it identified as a Red-Striped Hermit and a Zebra Hermit...Not positive what mine was.

I agree with HeyLookItsCaps put it in; just keep an eye on it.

- Ken

Archived