Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

my red bubble tip is turning pink

Tworoads

so i got this amazing deep almost lava red bubble tip and its getting lighter and lighter. i have another bubble tip and a long tentical that are doing fine. any suggestions?

thanks

Sounds like it may be bleaching out on you. What are you running for lights?

2 x 55 watt T5 power compacts (1 watt-liter/4 watt-gallon)

10,000K/Actinic lighting

Electronic ballast

i hear they live for hundreds of years in the ocean....and 1-2 years in a tank...

probably shouldnt have been taken out of the ocean hu?

i hear they live for hundreds of years in the ocean....and 1-2 years in a tank...

probably shouldnt have been taken out of the ocean hu?

I think you heard wrong. Rose BTAs do very well in captivity. I just recently sold mine that I had for 2 years and it was as healthy as the day I got it. Many people are not only getting them to live for a long time in their tanks, but are actively propagating them.

I think you heard wrong. Rose BTAs do very well in captivity. I just recently sold mine that I had for 2 years and it was as healthy as the day I got it. Many people are not only getting them to live for a long time in their tanks, but are actively propagating them.

do well in captivity??? 2-3...ok ill even give you 5 years...vs a couple hundred?

do well in captivity??? 2-3...ok ill even give you 5 years...vs a couple hundred?

Can you point me to any current articles that claim this? This may have been the case years ago, but I don't think it is true with modern systems. I personally know many people that have kept rose anemones for many years. You take the chance of ANYTHING dying much earlier in your tank than they would in the ocean. If you're worried about things dying earlier than they would in the ocean than you're in the wrong hobby :rolleyes: .

it should be enough lighting, but could use more. i would just feed it more then you usually do and see,

atleast a clownfish didnt take it and feed it to a LARGE sebae anemone :(

Obsessed Reefer

How long have you had it? Did the place where you got it harm it when selling it? That should be enough lighting. I know that they prefer PC/T5 over MH. Any pics?

How long have you had it? Did the place where you got it harm it when selling it? That should be enough lighting. I know that they prefer PC/T5 over MH. Any pics?

ill take a pic tonight

it hasnt really eating anything since i got it. i have tried feeding its flakes...well the close tried..not me :)

mysis shrip, and a feeder fish...didnt want any of that.

thanks for the help so far guys..

RayWhisperer

Mine did the same for a while. I was getting lax on water changes till I noticed the change. I started doing water changes twice weekly to get things back in line. Still, it kept getting pinker. I realized my bulbs were over a year old at that point. I changed to new bulbs(one at a time.) All returned to normal. I just noticed it happening again, guess what? My bulbs are again, about a year old. I'm pretty sure your bulbs are gone.

mine's 5 yrs old now.it split four times already.it's under PC lights.

i change my bulb every 7-8 months.i hope yours recover.

RayWhisperer
ill take a pic tonight

it hasnt really eating anything since i got it. i have tried feeding its flakes...well the close tried..not me :)

mysis shrip, and a feeder fish...didnt want any of that.

thanks for the help so far guys..

I guess I should have read the whole thread....

So, you've got roughly a 30 gallon tank? 110 watts T-5H.O., right? The amount is questionable, however could be enough. Especially if it's a shallow tank. While we're discussing your tank, how long has it been set up?

Feeding; offer the nem some other types of food. Try squid, shrimp, and silver sides. Nothing too big, about 1/2 a silversides, or shrimp should be fine once a week. Softer foods, like squid and clam are easier for them to eat. You can give a bit more of those.

Don't rely on the clowns to feed it. Many times they will take the food for themselves. Other times they will pull it out and replace it many times over. If the food becomes covered in the nems mucous, it will no longer sense food and release it. Put the food in by hand, near the mouth. Try to feed the clowns at this time. They will be busy eating, and won't molest the nem and it's meal.

Archived