ReefCleaners.org

29 gallonTank a nano? and other questions

MrNoahCount

MrNoahCount

Hi everyone,

I found this place by searching google because of a suggestion on another site. Just out of curiousity, is a 29 gallon tank still considered a nano reef? It's has the same footprint of a 20 gallon tank only it's taller. I don't know if I'm in the right place or not because I do have room for a sump undert my tank and I'm considering one. Even so, this site looks as if it could be very helpful. Maybe I don't even need a sump? One thing I've noticed is the recomendation of using live sand. I have just started cycling my tank using crushed coral as a substrate. I s this an absolute no no? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Michael

NaNO ReeFiN

I'm setting up a 29 gal. with a 16 gal. sump as we speak and honestly.. who cares if it's a "nano". This site has great information and really is helpful. Hope you stick around.

harbingerofthefish

as long as your only tank isn't a 200 gallon, I think your safe here.

CC? I hear it's not all it's cracked up to be. Most people use sand. In a samll tank, where space it at a premium, sand offers a lot more surface area for bacteria than CC.

MrNoahCount

Thanks for the replies guys. I do plan on sticking around. BTW I started with this tank and tropical fish. I t was one of those Wal-mart combo deals with a power filter that uses the replaceable filter media/carbon cartridges. That, the heater, and the stock flourescent hood are all I have right now.

Nano Reefin could you give me a few details on your sump? What kind of water return pump are you using? How many gph is it? Are you using an overflow box or is your tank drilled? I have room for a ten gallon tank on the bottom level of my stand. Sorry for all the questions but the amount of conflicting info on the web is overwhelming.

Thanks,

Michael

IMO anything smaller than the Great Barrier Reef, seen from space in satellite photos, is a nano reef.. But for the sake of most forums, I'd say 40g or less and you'll be pretty safe..

CheleB)

NaNO ReeFiN

I have a custom ~16 gal. acrylic sump under my stand.. it's 24" L x 10" W x 16" H. I had my tank drilled with a 1" overflow and I'm currently using a SEN500GA pump to bring the water back up (around 350gph per hour at 4 ft.).

You could probably go with a 15H or an 18H since it's the same dimensions as a 10gal. only taller..

Archived