Top Shelf Aquatics

How much circulation? ???

southpaw23

southpaw23

Hi guys and gals..

Got a fairly trivial question....how much circulation would i require for my tank...the dimensions are 20Lx12Wx16H (i think it works out to about 16-17 US gallons) I was thinking of having two power heads at opposite ends pointed towards each other....i was just wondering if i should go with two 100g/h PH or two 150g/h PH....which would be better? i'm anticipating additional flow from the HOB as well....is there such a thing as too much flow....i noticed that the 10g/h per gallon rule doesn't seem to apply with most of the other members tanks.

Input would be good....thanx a million... ;)

harbingerofthefish

the 2 100 gph heads should be fine, but if the 150 gph ones are adjustable, I'd get those. That way if you need alittle extra flow here and there you can just crank one of the PHs up some.

I pump 200 or so gph on my 7 gallon.

southpaw23

Thanks for the advice Harbingerofthefish (ur nick is kinda long to pronounce ;) ) I'll be sure to check if the 150's are adjustable.....and about the placement of the PH...i'm assuming that it'll do just fine? it will probably be located at the upper back portion of the tank on the side glass.....i read somewhere that pointing it at a 45 degree angle from opposite ends would create pretty good circulation for the tank?...and thoughts on this?....

thanx again.....

harbingerofthefish

I think placing the power heads in each corner and slightly facing each other would work just fine. If you do add a HOB to the tank, you get the added bonuses of not having to point the PHs at the surface to break it up, and that it will add a more varied current to the tank.

Hi harbingerofthefish and southpaw23,

I have a standard 10G tank, with 11 lbs of LR and 10 lb of LS, I am also using a HOB filter.

I am just wondering if a 145 gph flow in a 10G tank would stir up the live sand at the bottom? Is such flow rate be ok if I want to have mushroom?

Thanks for your help.

I have a PH 201 that's supposed to do about 125gph in my 10gal nano, and the sand isn't disturbed at all. That's using finely crushed aragonite.

I have no idea about the coral question tho, sorry

Meg

harbingerofthefish

peterk-

I wouldn't worry about stirring the sand unless the ph is pointed down. Like I said before I have a lot of flow in my tank. And after a DIY project I have it spaying all over the place. The sand stays still.

As far as the flow in relation to a shroom. With all the LR in there, your going to have places of low flow and high flow. My 2 shrooms are in moderate to low flow and seem to enjoy it. Thing about srooms is, if you place them in to high a current they will move away from it. I had one literally walk up the rock it was on to get a footing in a nook in a piece of rock where the flow didn't hit it so hard.

145 gph in a 10 is fine as far as over all water movement.

Thanks for you guys' help!

Now that I have placed the powerhead, it seems to drive the strong current, would Ocellaris Clownfish appreciate strong current?

southpaw23

Thanx loads for the info Harbinger and the rest. Just wanted to get one last thing straight, as far as i understand, the HOB is purely there to break the water surface and in addition to that add a more varied flow to the tank right? would that mean that i can just get me a cheapo HOB and it would suffice? My LFS was recommending me this HOB which he feels is pretty good but i'm thinking if i'll only be needing it for the two reasons stated above....that wouldn't be necesarry right?

And if going with the assumption that i'll be getting the two 100g/h PHs....what kinda flow rate should i get for the HOB? I'm thinking of placing it in the middle of the back portion of the tank.

Once again....thanx for all the input and help ;)

Billdemart

I think you are right southpaw regarding the HOB, except that some people put their heaters in them and some use carbon in them as well.

I am going to grab one of the small Aquaclears or Whispers and use it for my 10 gallon.

If you want to get fancy, get 2 powerheads and run one during the day, the other at night. I've been trying this out for a while on my 20 and dig it. Although ... I'm also at the nutty, high end of water flow -- 75 gph through skimmer, 10 or so through HOB refugium (and more leaking out through the PH's venturi, probably about 20), and 2x 200 GPH powerheads on at different times. Well, I do let 'em run for a couple minutes simultaneously, just to give my fish a thrill.

No adverse effects, and my monti's extending its polyps more.

harbingerofthefish

Most HOBs are adjustable in some way as to the gph they produce. So getting one that is too big won't be a huge problem.

Billdemart makes a good point too. I kinda wish I had gotten a larger model so I could get my heater out of the tank. I might actually replace the HOB I have now to do this.

Masoch sounds like me. I think I have modified and fiddled with the flow in my tank more than the rockwork.

Your not really going to be able to tell how the flow is going to act in the tank until its up and running. So right now if you have 2 100 gph phs and a 100-150 gph HOB your talking like 300-350 gph in a 16-18 gallon tank. I think you'll be fine.

southpaw23

So you guys know....i'm not planning on having a heater in the tank so i won't be needing the extra space from the HOB.......i live in Malaysia....and it's already hot enough here (no winter) Finally solved my heat issue with a big cooler fan...managed to bring the tank temp down by a whole lot (really surprised me there... :) ) I might consider having one that has room to put some carbon in from time to time but i guess i'll stick to the original plan or a simple HOB...

Hey...while i have all of ur attention....was wondering if ya'll could help me out on another query...i posted this on the lighting forum but haven't been getting any response from there....here was my query on a Ballast and PC combo with a few other misc questions :P

I've just got a quick question.....i currently have two 36w PCs with me and i have them connected to individual 30 watt electronic ballast....does this mean that i've only got 60 effective watts on my tank rite now? Would it help to get a higher wattage ballast (40'a perhaps) to connect to the PCs? The 36 watt ballast are not compatible with the PCs i have (long story).....

And will this lighting be sufficient for my tank....it's dimensions are 20Lx12Wx16H...i think it works out to about 16 gallons.

I'm planning on keeping probably some mushrooms, zoos, xenias, ricordias, GSPs, leathers, open brains and if possible maybe a hammer, torch and/or a frogspawn (not all at once of course) But will my lighting be sufficient....and for the higher light requirement corals, will placing them on the upper portion of the tank help?

I know that they're pretty common questions but some insight on this would be great, just because it's very specific with what i want to do with the tank...and the rest of the info on the site varies with different individuals and situations....thanks again in advance ;)

I know i know...i tend to have too many questions....that's just coz there's so much to learn...... ;)

harbingerofthefish

as for the lighting to the livestock...I think 2x36 is fine for the size tank and what you want to keep.

On the ballst stuff...I don;t know much about electricity. Better I don't even try this one. Wouldn't want an international incedent ;)

southpaw23

Good to know that my lighting will be sufficient....but am trying to see if i can fit another 36w PC in the casing somehow.....that should bring the total wattage up to 108w.....don't suppose that would be sufficient for perhaps a montipora would it? just wondering so that when i've gotten enough experience in the future, i'll have enough lighting to pull it off....i know that MH are the way to go but it's way too expensive around here.

As for the whole ballast and pc combo....thanx for your consideration on avoiding the whole international incident Harbinger....anyone else out there know anything about this?

Archived