Top Shelf Aquatics

Whats your tanks photoperiod?

JIM27

Do you have your lights on a timer or do you just turn them on manually like me? And how long are they on? For my tank, I just turn on the light whenever I wake up in the morning, it varies from 7am during the school year to 9-11am now during the summer time. I turn them off usually whenever it gets dark. I just try to get atleast 8 hours and no more than 12 hours of light a day. Sure some may describe mine as a little f---ed up and lazy but my corals dont seem to mind.

thast fine...light varies in nature also. i dont see any problem with it being that sometimes during severe storms corals do without light for about 3 days at times. the only problem i could see with it is that the corals cannot figure out a balance and may eventually stress. but i dont think it is a very big deal at all. for my tank i had them on timers and liked it that way so if i didnt come home i didnt have to worry about it

I've got a intermatic programable timer and I've got it on varied photoperiods throughout the week. My lighting is on roughly 6-7 hours a day.

Cameron

I run mine for 8 hours on a timer. I bought one after a good night out on the town, and I didn't make it home. The corals really didn't like it! It cost me $5 at home depot for a cheapy one, but it works great. I do vary the lights from month to month from 6-10 hours when I feel like changing it. It seems to help keep algae in control. I think algae is very light specific, and by changing the photo period it kills the current strain and it takes a month for the next to develope.

act 9:30am - 8:30pm (11hrs)

10k 10am - 8pm (10hrs)

LED moonlight 8pm - 8am (12hrs)

tank is 20gal PC's are 2 x 55w act and 2 x 55w 10k

-skeletor-

11 am-11 pm on an automatic timer. On a weekday, the lights going off in my tank serves as a good reminder to go to bed...zzz

My lights are on 3:30pm - 10:30pm daily.

I would leave the lights on longer but it's summer time now and my tank temp reaches 85 degrees. Too expensive to AC the whole house. But I did just get an Iceprobe chiller, once installed my lights will be on longer

Archived