Pod Your Reef

Strange pistol/goby combo

flricordia

Posted this on the fish page but thought it interesting enough to post it here also.

I have had a Caribbean pistol for a couple months, but no goby. I bought a redhead goby the other day, but haven't seen anything on them being shrimp gobies, I just got it so I could have a small fish in my otherwise fishless 14gl. Well, they paired up. The goby will leave the pistol and explore the tank, but always returns. When I dropped some small pellets in the goby took one in its mouth and looked to be pushing one toward the opening where the pistol hangs out and the pistol grabbed it.

8473gobypistolpair-med.jpg

That's awesome. How do you like having a pistol? I want a bullseye pistol like this

580_bullseyepistolshrimp1.jpg

to pair with the YWG I had my LFS order in for me.

That's awesome. How do you like having a pistol? I want a bullseye pistol like this

580_bullseyepistolshrimp1.jpg

to pair with the YWG I had my LFS order in for me.

I wouldn't have a reef without one. They are great for helping maintain a deep sand bed and even one that isn't so deep. They help keep most of the bottom of the SB from becoming stagnet. Personally I like the tiger pistols best. Theya re pretty active, but this one was sent from a collector for free so I decided to give it a try. I like it, just not real active. I will have to say this though, it doesn't steal small frags and decorate its openings like tigers do.

Bullseye is Carribean species also, isn't it?

I just got a yellow watchman and tiger pistol. They where already a pair at the lfs. That tiger has been busy busy busy. Rescaping my entire substate. Very very fun to watch. We have called him Dozer, because he sure does bulldoze.

Here's a pic

FishTank--Gobi006.jpg

I wouldn't have a reef without one. They are great for helping maintain a deep sand bed and even one that isn't so deep. They help keep most of the bottom of the SB from becoming stagnet. Personally I like the tiger pistols best. Theya re pretty active, but this one was sent from a collector for free so I decided to give it a try. I like it, just not real active. I will have to say this though, it doesn't steal small frags and decorate its openings like tigers do.

Bullseye is Carribean species also, isn't it?

I have no idea...I just started researching them when I found them late last night on saltwaterfish.com. From what I've read it seems as though they won't pair with gobies as readily as other pistols. However, I think they are beautiful anyway. I don't think my tank is big enough unfortunately :( , recommended size is a 30 gallon, while I only have a 12. I'll probably look into them more if I ever get a bigger tank, but right now a 12 is all I can afford...and all I really have time to take care of.

I have no idea...I just started researching them when I found them late last night on saltwaterfish.com. From what I've read it seems as though they won't pair with gobies as readily as other pistols. However, I think they are beautiful anyway. I don't think my tank is big enough unfortunately :( , recommended size is a 30 gallon, while I only have a 12. I'll probably look into them more if I ever get a bigger tank, but right now a 12 is all I can afford...and all I really have time to take care of.

i dont' know why they recommend 30g for that pistol. Pistols will rarely ever move once they established a burrow. The bullseye how ever like you stated, won't pair up with any fish unless you get lucky. Try a pair of bullseye, they are just as interesting to watch as one will be the look out and one will work on the burrow.

i dont' know why they recommend 30g for that pistol. Pistols will rarely ever move once they established a burrow. The bullseye how ever like you stated, won't pair up with any fish unless you get lucky. Try a pair of bullseye, they are just as interesting to watch as one will be the look out and one will work on the burrow.

Thanks for the information. I try hard not to stray from the recommendations I see, and most websites state the same things so it's good to hear something else from someone who is experienced in reef-keeping.

I am guessing they state 30gs due to the possibility of the pistol wandering away from it's burrow to find things to build it's burow. my tiger pistol will travel up to 1ft away from the burrow to get rubbles to build it's home. if two meet that arent' paired, they will fight.

I am guessing they state 30gs due to the possibility of the pistol wandering away from it's burrow to find things to build it's burow. my tiger pistol will travel up to 1ft away from the burrow to get rubbles to build it's home. if two meet that arent' paired, they will fight.

I would only get one if I do end up getting one. I'm still weighing my options on shrimp. I really want some Pederson's anemone shrimp to live on my ricordeas, but I have to wait until my ricordeas are large enough. I wouldn't be able to keep Pederson's and the pistol together. I'm trying to weigh the benefits and the disadvantages of all the livestock I get so I'll have to see which wins.

EDIT: have you noticed any destabilization of your aquascape with the pistol burrowing underneath it? That's one of my biggest concerns.

I actually setup my tank for a pistol/goby pair. The rocks are set right on the glass so my aquascape does not shift at all. The sand how ever, never stays even, then again it looks more natural with the sand being place where ever the tankmates want it.

If you're going with the tiger pistol, you can keep both the pistol and the pederson's shrimp as the tiger is more doctile towards other shrimps. I have three sexy shrimps plus a cleaner shrimp in my tank and they have gone close to the pistol. It has never made any attempts to kill them. I actually don't think i've ever heard anyone's tiger pistol killing their shrimps. The red pistol and bullseye however, if the oppertunity comes and they feel like it will kill shrimps.

I actually setup my tank for a pistol/goby pair. The rocks are set right on the glass so my aquascape does not shift at all. The sand how ever, never stays even, then again it looks more natural with the sand being place where ever the tankmates want it.

If you're going with the tiger pistol, you can keep both the pistol and the pederson's shrimp as the tiger is more doctile towards other shrimps. I have three sexy shrimps plus a cleaner shrimp in my tank and they have gone close to the pistol. It has never made any attempts to kill them. I actually don't think i've ever heard anyone's tiger pistol killing their shrimps. The red pistol and bullseye however, if the oppertunity comes and they feel like it will kill shrimps.

I agree. I have never had any trouble with tiger pistols killing other non-pistol shrimp species. I once had a skumk cleaner that hung out right at the tiger's opening and they ignored each other.

Thanks for the information. I don't like my water being cloudy so that's a downside.

Is the popping extremely loud? The tank is in my bedroom and I would hate for it to wake me up.

A pistol shrimp without a Goby pair, is sad. after my goby died, my pistol is too scared to go out so he digs less and is scared to ome out.

i must find a banded hi-fin goby soon!

Thanks for the information. I don't like my water being cloudy so that's a downside.

Is the popping extremely loud? The tank is in my bedroom and I would hate for it to wake me up.

the water cloudiness is a exxageration IMO. Most people that says it makes the water super cloudy and never clear again has probably never kept one. I keep mine with a VERY FINE sugar size sand. My water is ALWAYS crystal clear. The pistol DOES not constantly work on it's burrow. Once it has established the burrow, It will only fix it when it has to. EX: the shrimp goby triggers the pistol to retreat and then the goby's retreat can kinda cave in the burrow. Then the pistol will rework the entrance that the goby messed up while retreating.

marjority of the time when the burrow is finished, You will see the goby and the pistol wandering around the tank hunting for pods in the LR or the pistol eating algae off the rocks while the goby hunts for pods. Very interesting partnership. I love these guys.

My shrimp stopped popping when it paired up with my fish. From what i've research, the popping is a sound of communication. It is use to communicate among other pistol shrimps or used to defend it's territory. With the aid of the goby, it can now rest and sleep soundly so it doesn't pop. However when i first got it, the first night the popping did get kinda annoying, it sounds just like when someone knocks on your door. but it pops every 3 seconds with 3-5 pops in a roll.

eventually, you'll get used to it. I can honestly tell you that you won't regret getting the pair.

the water cloudiness is a exxageration IMO. Most people that says it makes the water super cloudy and never clear again has probably never kept one. I keep mine with a VERY FINE sugar size sand. My water is ALWAYS crystal clear. The pistol DOES not constantly work on it's burrow. Once it has established the burrow, It will only fix it when it has to. EX: the shrimp goby triggers the pistol to retreat and then the goby's retreat can kinda cave in the burrow. Then the pistol will rework the entrance that the goby messed up while retreating.

marjority of the time when the burrow is finished, You will see the goby and the pistol wandering around the tank hunting for pods in the LR or the pistol eating algae off the rocks while the goby hunts for pods. Very interesting partnership. I love these guys.

My shrimp stopped popping when it paired up with my fish. From what i've research, the popping is a sound of communication. It is use to communicate among other pistol shrimps or used to defend it's territory. With the aid of the goby, it can now rest and sleep soundly so it doesn't pop. However when i first got it, the first night the popping did get kinda annoying, it sounds just like when someone knocks on your door. but it pops every 3 seconds with 3-5 pops in a roll.

eventually, you'll get used to it. I can honestly tell you that you won't regret getting the pair.

Thanks! You've been extremely helpful. I could sit for hours and watch my tank and I only have hermits, snails, two ricordeas and a mushroom in there now haha so a pistol/goby pair would be very interesting. Ever since I heard that you could pair a pistol shrimp with a goby I've wanted to have that in my tank.

I have a pistol shrimp, it was a hitchhiker. I dont have a goby, but im considering to get a new tank for the pistol shrimp and a goby. How many gallons does the pistol and goby need?

As far as gallons for a pair, depends on what species you are going to get. Yasha hasha goby and pistol are very small and can do fine in a 5gl and maybe even 3gl. Large tiger and yellowwatchman would need a 10gl min. The key is to have a DSB. If a pistol's popping is causing you to hesitate on getting one then you might just be a very uptight person and the cure, get a pistol/goby pair and watching them do their thing will help you relax.

As far as cloudiness, even the finest sand shouldn't cloud, what is going on is probably dust, and that should have been cleaned out from the start, or at least settled over a short time.

You really don't know what you are missing by NOT having a pair. They require virtually nothing except a daily feeding, DSB and good water quality and the good water quality you should already have, or you really don't need anything untill that comes about.

8473meet_the_family-med.jpg

nice pair of watchman's with the tiger.

here's my goby pairs. as you can see, my sand is sugar size. No cloudiness, just algae i cant' seem to freakin scrub off the glass.

first pair, tangaroa goby with tiger pistol taking a shell back to brace it's burrow.

IMG_0731.jpg

2nd pair, yellow watchman with same tiger pistol hanging out.

IMG_1061modify.jpg

I have not had time to take pictures of my randall's goby yet. I shall one day.

Archived