Cultivated Reef

palmettoreefs.com: O ye (meaning me) of little faith!

reefdamsel

reefdamsel

I got my live rock from Darren at PalmettoReefs.com over a month ago. I was setting up my first saltwater tank ever, and didn't quite believe I could pull it off or that live rock would be as fascinating as it is. I called Darren one day, got the rock the next day, and have spent the last month in front of the tank with a magnifying glass, marvelling at what and how much life pops up out of it. At first, I thought nothing was happening and thought that either I got taken for a ride or did something wrong, but then all of a sudden there were lots of featherdusters, bristle worms, spaghetti worms, some macroalgae, a couple hitchkiker snails, an explosion of pods, some aiptasia--yes--but also I think one "real" anemone, plenty of other things I haven't yet identified, and I finally have coralline spotting the glass. It's really happening! I never had any measurable ammonia, and only a very mild and short-lived nitrite-nitrate spike. Darren's Kaileni and Caribbean rock is great stuff (the Fiji and Tonga was and still is a bit bare, but I've read in posts here that some vendors have had trouble getting good rock from Fiji lately--anyway, the critters from the other rocks are quickly colonizing it). So, thanks Darren, and forgive my lack of faith and this belated expression of thanks!

Archived