Cultivated Reef

ICeProbe help needed

TiGs

Hello

I got my IceProbe chiller and I went to TAP Plastics to have them drill a 1.25 inch hole in my AquaClear filter cover and TAPs said they would not do it because they can crack the plastic AquaClear cover. They recommended that I take a soldering iron and melt a hole out of the cover.

The thing is I don't want to ruin a soldering iron by melting plastic with it. Any other suggestions from other IceProbe owners or anyone that's mechanicaly inclinded to give me some ideas on making my own hole?

Oh yeah I don't own a drill but I think I do have a dremil somewhere. i'm not a very handy person at all.

Thanks

c_k_kuehne

A dremel with the correct bit would probably work.

You can probably buy an extra cheapie soldering iron (5.00 or so) and just throw it away if it's ruined. I really think you could clean it off as long as you do it while it's still hot.

I have drilled a hole in my friends Aquaclear cover with no problems whatsoever. Used a holesaw bit actually.

HTH!

Chamkeeper

Radio shack sells some cheapo (~$10) irons. You could just buy one and burn the hole, when you need the next one, you'll be set.

I used a heatgun to soften the plastic a little and used a hole saw bit to cut the hole. I wouldn't suggest used a hole saw without softening up the plastic because it will break (I know...I did it once). A dremel would likely make quick work of it too.

Cameron

Archived