Top Shelf Aquatics

Opinions on the New Tetratec filter?

nano neophyte

nano neophyte

Another question for you.  I'm going to need a pump/filter for my new 7.5G reef tank as well as a heater.  Tetratec just released a new filter that does both.  http://tetra-fish.com/tour/  What are your impressions?  It seems like the best of both worlds.  1)  Are there any disadvantages you can think of for having both a heater and filter in one product?  2)  Have you had any experience with a Tetratec product, good company?  3)  The Powerfilter 150 model is recommended for tanks up to 30 gallons.  I can't find any details about gallons per hour.  Should I be concerned about the volume it processes in terms of my little tank?

Thanks!

Vixyswillie
Quote: from nano neophyte on 2:45 pm on June 30, 2002[br]I'm going to need a pump/filter for my new 7.5G reef tank as well as a heater.  Tetratec just released a new filter that does both... What are your impressions?

If Tetratec puts out a decent product, I'm convinced this is going to be a winner. As we've discussed before, I like keeping the inside of the tank as hardware-free as possible - and this is certainly a step in the right direction. I'd like to hear any comments from folks who've had Tetratec filters, too.

Are you planning on using yours with media, without, or popping the media in just during water changes??

Guest AbSoluTc

Unless you like BIG, BULKY, HEFTY items hanging off the back of your tank, then the tetratec filter is for you.

If you don't, steer clear!  I looked into one of these filters.  Its poorly made, cheap plastic, HUGE and not to mention the HEATER is NOT included in the origional purchase price of 40? bux!  Also, the heater cannot be submerged and also it too is HUGE!  Its the size of a T12 - in width and is about 6" long.

Your best bet is to go and check one out before you buy it :)

Vixyswillie
Quote: from AbSoluTc on 4:44 pm on June 30, 2002[br]Unless you like BIG, BULKY, HEFTY items hanging off the back of your tank, then the tetratec filter is for you.

Well, given my druthers, I'd rather have BIG, BULKY, HEFTY schiat hanging off the BACK of my tank than hanging IN my tank! ;) Just wondering if they work well, are reliable, etc. Thanks for the tip on the additional cost of the heater - I was wondering how one online store could sell 'em for $20 WITH a heater!! :alarm:

I was loking into those awhile back, but after hearing some problems that they had been having with the surge pump, and  decided to wait.  They may have fixed some of the problems, and if they have then it may be time to get one.  

The look like a slick unit, but I'd be more inclined to get a powerfilter that's big enough to accomodate a Thermal Compact heater instead.  Will probably save you a few bux.

One thing that interested me in them was the surge device that generates random water currents in your tank. If you get one lemme know how well it works it would be better than the huge powersweep I currently have in there. The price was prohibitive for me though ouch!

TIA,

Toy

My friend has one for one of his freshwater tanks.  The surge thing is kinda neat.  The filter takes up a bit more space than your standard HOB.  I wonder how long it will last for though.  IME aquaclears last the longest.  It mainly is a normal HOB, a wider media load, and the surge thing (who knows how reliable it is, and how long it will last for) for double the bucks.   :) HTH

I have 2.5 gal nanos and other tanks that run SOLELY on an AWESOME filter made by..... AQUARIUM SYSTEMS.

DUETTOs are in 2 sizes the 50 and 100. Get the 100.

It is all inclusive powerhead internal filter w/ prefilter, sponge bio area, carbon, and airator atttachment. fer 22.00 on line and an average of 30.00 Retail you cant go wrong. TRUST ME ! get one and you will never get a HOB again. I havent had one fail in 4 years.

I only replace carbon every few weeks, and of you are good with a dremmel tool, you can make the carbon chamber refillable. www.Drsfostersmith.com   look for keyword Duetto's. YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED !

I use the PF150 and love the unit.  I got the unit for $20 + $15 for the heater, so I think I got a fair deal.  The main selling point for me was the built in heater, and the extremely large media compartment.  I modified the compartment to hold a Iceprobe chiller.  If you wanted to, it can easily fit a Lee's or Coralife internal skimmer within (I chose to go skimmerless).  

The surge device works, but I disabled it because it made a little noise (it's in my bedroom, and I prefer it to be completely silent).  It also emitted a few bubbles; they weren't a problem in the tank, but the bubbles bursting on top would cause salt creep, especially on my MH fixture.

I'm guessing the unit is as reliable as any other hang-on power filter.  It's essentially the same thing - at least the motor assembly.

Pics of my nano (with the Tetratec):

http://www.reefscapes.net/nano/nano.html

• 1 year later...
harbingerofthefish

I'm in the process of convincing my GF to get a bigger filter for her 55 FW tank so I can snag her PF150. The sound of the surge doesn't bother me. I just think it would do a lot better job at keeping the surface moving. The note about the chamber being large enough to place a small skimmer is a plus.

as far as the surge part being reliable (ie..lasting a hwlie), it's a bell siphon so as long as there is water flowing into the hOB then there is no reason why it would work continuosly.

OK the surge just absolutly sucks!!! It always needs adjustment, and sounds like a toilet flushing every 10 seconds. I use one because I didn't want the heater in the tank. It works very good with the "flush" disabled, and I've had no problems. It is a bit bulky behind and above the tank, but it does fit in a filter cut-out slot on my 7g mini.

Would I buy one again.... No... in the months that have passed, I have found an alternative that seems like it would work better.It's in the Thatfishplace.com catalog, and is just called Aquafuge refugium. It comes with a power head, and baffels. It is 12" tall, 4" wide, and 12, 18, or 24 wide.... starting at $99. Its baffeled, and looks like you could put a skimmer, heater, and still have enough room for a refugium, sounds like a sweet setup to me!

PS. The Lee's skimmer won't fit in the Tetratec, and coralife no longer makes the small skimmer that will fit. I have a piccolo in mine.

Concept is great, performance is ok, but the bulkiness of it is absolutely horrible. Its so big it blocked half of the light in my 2.5. I still have mine but dont use it. I plan on making an ATS out of it someday and put it somewhere :).

I've seen these tetratec suck master filters in a few of my friends tank. They both curse the day that they bought the thing. The surge device basically sounds like a toilet flushing every 4 or 5 seconds. The built in heater is a neat idea, but we have been make shifting heaters in all our filters for years. So, the only difference is the sucking sound, which is supposedly to keep biological filtration going in a wet/dry enviornment in the filter, which you do not particulary want in a reef. For the money, I would just get a millenium, or aquaclear and throw a heater in it. It will do the same job but without the toilet flush sound. Just MHO.

P.S Yup check out refugiums on e bay, you can get basically the same HOB refuge for about 30-40 dollars.

I didn't look into it that far, I just liked the idea of that pre-made refuge, with a PH and baffels all in one unit. I was just using it as an example. If I decide to change over, I'll look on ebay. Thanks!

Archived