ReefCleaners.org

Fire worm woes

jdiver

I have a fire worm in my recently set up tank that I would guess is about 8" long. (I've seen about 5" of it sticking out of its rock.) The fire worm has killed 4 snails thus far, and I need to stop this bugger! I've tried grabbing it with long tweezers at night, but it retracts too quickly. I've tried a trap made of an empty 2 liter soda bottle with the top cut of and inverted into the bottle, but that hasn't worked. I'm thinking my only option now might be to remove the rock the worm is living in. Of course the rock it's in is a very bottom support piece in a structure that took me about 8 hours to get right. If I do decide to remove the rock, what's the best way to kill the worm? Freshwater dip? I want to make sure this sucker is dead. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, in case anyone doubts the fire worm is responsible for the snail deaths, believe me, the fire worm is definitely the culprit. One snail crawled into the hole the worm comes out of while eating algae, and is now an empty shell. Last night when I got home and shined the light in the tank, the worm was feasting on another snail that had wandered onto its rock.

SmartaZaWhiP

I had the same issue, performed a 1.032 saltwater bath, put the rock inside the water. That bugger will shoot out of there and leave the rock unharmed.

GOODLUCK

Archived