inTank Media Baskets

tested the water, help please

newbiefishgirl

newbiefishgirl

Last night I tested the water and I am worried. I know it has only been 6 days the tank has been running... but shouldn't I see the ammonia start to go up? Or is this normal?? My ph was around 8.4, ammonia 0, nitrates 0 and nitrites 0. Now tonight I will be getting my new power filter (water has been moving thro a reg filter and pump until the special one came in) and also adding another 5 lbs of LR. Will this help??

Any advice would be helpful because I dont know if I am doing something wrong or if my process is just slow.

Thanks guys!:blush:

harbingerofthefish

It took a while for my tnak to show me it was cycling. I first showed amm. about 10 days into it. Ading more rock may/may not help. It all depends on the die off the rock sustains. If you want to, you can add a pinch of fish food to the water to help jump start a cycle.

newbiefishgirl

Really, a pinch of food? I have heard you can add shrimp too from the grocery store... is that true?

I hope the rock didn't die off! I can still see a lot of pretty coraline!

if the cycle doesn't start on it's own, especially after you add more live rock, then a pinch of food will get it going. I am not a fan of putting a shrimp, or a damsel or anything else in to kick start a cycle. I have always found that letting it start on it's own works just fine.

Don't be in a rush. Patience is key in this hobby. everything is a slow process

newbiefishgirl

I agree, I would never put a fish in there to suffer thro a rough cycle!

I will wait and see what happends when I add more rock today.

thanks for the responces!!

Archived