Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help Me Design a 125 pls.

Raise

Im not sure if this is acceptable in this forum, but I figured it'd get the most attention here. If it needs to be moved, feel free, I understand. :)

My parents want a 125.

I have a $4000 budget, give or take a couple hundred.

Id like to get them a 125 AGA. Unless anyone knows a better brand. Im not sure whether I should go with a center overflow, a corner or 2 corner overflows. Please help me decide.

I think the major issue will be the stand and canopy. Can I order these in a specific color (off white/white wash)?? And also, Is there a company from which I can order the hood, have them paint it AND install all lighting? Id like to do all of this in swift easy steps :)

For lighting I was thinking 2-250w MHs and 4 6' VHOs. Any opinions on this?

I was also thinking a SCWD, although I dont know what kind of returns or (skimmer) any of that Ill be using (suggestions?).

Sump= Rubbermaid.

Im just trying to see what everyone would do in my situation. Im trying to set my parents up GOOD. So what companies should I be looking to for all this stuff? Thanks for any help.

Ray

I am in charge of a 125 at school......

With MH put one every 2 feet, so you will need 3 of them. I would go with 175s or if you want to keep SPS go with 250s, no suck thing at 275s. Actinics go with 2, 6 foot VHOs on an Icecap 660 ballast. Hellolights makes custom retro hoods, make sure you get a couple fans!!!

The sump is good...the rubbermaid might flex out some....For a skimmer, make sure you get a GOOD one...check out http://www.myreefcreations.com/ for a skimmer, these are pricey but very good!

If you have any more questions email me....it is on the email tap at the top of my posts...or PM me

Thanks William, I meant to put 250. I was thinking 175 and 250 at the same time and thats what came out :)

It would actually be nice to get a used setup, but I dont know where Id get the ######e painted.......

What about 4 6' VHOs?? Thats originally what i meant to put also...

damn the editing!

You never mentioned what you plan to keep in terms of corals. That would help you in your lighting choice as well.

Also I would skip the 125 G AGA since I believe the depth of the tank is only 18". You want to do some nice aquascaping with live rocks so try to find a tank that is 24" deep. Usually a 120 G ready reef tank would be optimal.

Lighting would be easier too considering you can use 2 MH's if you like. With the 125 G AGA, it's a 6 foot tank and you will need 3 MH's to prevent dark spots in the tank.

I wqas just wondering does this 4000$ budget include live rock and stocking?

I also cant stress enough the importance of E-BAY when on a budget

JJ

i would definately go with an overflow in each corner...one in the center of a six foot tank doesnt seem to cut it for me. i would also agree to go with the shorter 120gallon reef ready. oceanic makes really nice reef ready tanks, much better quality than aga in my opinion plus they have stands and canopies that are very nice.

lighting: if you are going with the long tank go with 3x250w halides and 2 vho super actinics. this will be plenty however many of my friends have opted to go with 2 400w radiums on a similar size tank

Hmm, what are the dimmension of the 120g reef ready? We were originally going to go with a 180 and put it in my dads office which is PERFCET. BUT my parents decided that they didnt think it would be seen enough in there. So we decided on another spot which is really the only other choice, they have a huge house with an even huger collection of "things". Width is no biggie, we have up to 6' of space and height really isnt an issue either. Its the depth that concerns me. Itd be great if it was somewhere between the depth of a 125 and a 180. the 125 being minimal and the 180 being too deep. Its all placement issues. Its going in a hallway so it cant be too deep.

Id want to keep a variety of all corals. The 4g's isnt really considering livestock/rock.

I went to a LFS today and they had a 125 deal, $2200 for: Tank, canopy, stand, 2 IC660's, 6vhos, sump(berlin?), return (rio) ........and I think thats it. I dont think thats a bad deal but I really want to incorporate MH into the equation.

Its was like $1000 for the tank/stand/canopy by themselves.

yeah i would look on ebay, espesially go to the aquarium and fish section and then set it to 'show only daytona beach' or whatever, then maybe you could find a tank locally. At school we have a 125 that has 3x250w and 4x96w actinic pc. Its nice having that many lights because we set them on timers so they rotate on and off across the tank, looks pretty cool IMO

Archived