Innovative Marine Aquariums

Could A Cleaner Shimp Do Well in my Tank?

BBDreef

I have a 29 Gallon Biocube. I would like to get a Cleaner Shrimp. But I'm wondering if it would do well in my tank. The things that I think might eat it include: A Twin Spot Hogfish (3"); Orange Skunk Clownfish (1.5"); Blue Chromis Damsel (1.3"); Golden Headed Sleeper Goby (3") Long Tentacle Anemone (6.5"); and a Tube Anemone (3"). My LFS sells Cleaner Shrimp of all sizes. I would probably go for a bigger sized one (2"). Do you think it be able to fend for itself in my tank? Aswell, my liverock has many holes, caves, and other forms of hiding spots for when it molts. All opinions welcome! THANKS!

.im pretty sure the hawkfish would eat it, but what lighting do you have? that tanks to small for different anemones and they will be having chemical warfare..

ReadyReefer

^^^also the lighting most likely isn't enough for the LTA. also tube anemones get very large, in fact in some books, the authors reccomend 40+ gallons per specemin.

also, IMO, that no many how many hiding spots your LR has, the shrimp will either become an expensive snack for the hawkfish, or will starve to death hiding from it

First off, it is a Hogfish. Not Hawkfish. Secondly, my anemones probably won't have any "warfare" since tube anemones aren't accually anemones, rather another type of invertibrate. And please don't comment on my lighting. It gets really old, really fast. My Long Tenticle Anemone has been in my tank for over half a year, and has grown almost double in size. Aswell, it started off being a bleached white colour, and I was able to nurse it back to health. Which is now a purply pink. PLEASE, just leave this topic, to its topic. Don't go veering off to my lighting. Thanks.

ReadyReefer

uhh, actually tube anemones are cerianthids, and they are equipped with nematycsts, so they most likely will compete with one another. but back on topic, if youre looking for a short answer for your question, don't get the shrimp

Archived