Pod Your Reef

hair algae removal tool ?

skeletor

hey everyone,

has anyone got a neat tool they use for hair algae remove (other than your fingers :-)

I'm starting to get a little bit of the stuff and it's in a hard to reach spot. I've tried some tweezers but they just don't cut it. Any ideas on how to reach those hard to get hairs ?

thanks,

-skeletor-

Nishant3789

hehe i wonder how an electric one owuld fair.....i have an extra (my brothers....hehehehe), i bet the motord get eaten upby the salwater

problem is, it's growing amongst one of my zoo colonies so I'm sure the zoo's wont like the toothbrush..

-skeletor-

tweezers were my weapon of choice for the hard to brush areas but I really shouldn't be giving out advice. I lost my battle.

I tried the tooth brush method in a couple of places and it worked great, thanks everyone :-)

I'm wary of crabs, after having a bad experience with a hairy crab who ate a large chunk of SPS last friday night (may he rest in peace :).. not only did the crab have a go at the acro but today it RTN'd. :-(

A little improvement to the tootbrush method, drill a hole through the middle of the toothbrush and attach your siphon tubing to it when you're changing water. Your newly released algea will go straight into your bucket and not stay in the tank.

HogWinslow

I had Hair Algae real bad in my 10 gallon. Three Blue Legs ate it all over night. I was going to get some more Blue Legs but I'm afraid they will starve. Worked for me.

Hog

I have one blue leg in there but he doesn't seem to touch the stuff.

hey lakerfan, great idea.. sort of like a pool cleaner only on a smaller scale :)

i had a nasty outbreak of hair algae too and my blue legs didnt care for it much. i put an emerald crab in my tank on fri when i came back monday morning (small nano at work) all the hair was gone.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived