Cultivated Reef

Cleaner Shrimp

mjames

I have attempted to introduce two different cleaner shrimp into my tank. Both times within 4 hours I have spotted my hermits or more recently my sally light foot all over them.

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 10-20

PH: 8.3

Temp: 78-80

My LFS said everything looks fine and my occupants shouldn't bother the shimp too much. Should I just give it up and look for a different species of shrimp?

How are you acclimating them and what's your salinity at?

I float the bag for 30 minutes and then I start to drip acclimate over the next 40 minutes. My salinity is at 1.025

how big is your tank?

maybe you are acclimatizing for too long? try to just drip for half an hour. floating and then dripping is pointless. the water is just going to change temperatures anyways because you still have to drip.

Tim

how big is your tank?

maybe you are acclimatizing for too long? try to just drip for half an hour. floating and then dripping is pointless. the water is just going to change temperatures anyways because you still have to drip.

Tim

It is a 29 gal biocube. I will try that and think I will try a peppermint shirmp. They would be much cheaper.

vike50brian

I never kept a cleaner and a sally light foot together, thankfully I took the sally out when I did. When I first set up my 24g NC I put a sally and some hermits in, along with some devils, I mean damsels. I new I had a problem on my hands when I saw the sally actively perusing the damsels around the rocks. So what I'm trying to say is, maybe your sally might be the problem. But according to some members on here, their sallies don't bother other tank mates. But don't rule anything out. Now that I have a cleaner shrimp, I'm pretty confident, judging from what I saw of my sally, that a cleaner shrimp would have been an easy meal for him.

P.S. - I attached a photo to help my argument. Keep in mind thou, that yours may be more complacent than mine. And I am of the belief that removal of anything should be due to personal experience and not the opinions of others due to the variety of temperaments.

post-20138-1186438610_thumb.jpg

I never kept a cleaner and a sally light foot together, thankfully I took the sally out when I did. When I first set up my 24g NC I put a sally and some hermits in, along with some devils, I mean damsels. I new I had a problem on my hands when I saw the sally actively perusing the damsels around the rocks. So what I'm trying to say is, maybe your sally might be the problem. But according to some members on here, their sallies don't bother other tank mates. But don't rule anything out. Now that I have a cleaner shrimp, I'm pretty confident, judging from what I saw of my sally, that a cleaner shrimp would have been an easy meal for him.

P.S. - I attached a photo to help my argument. Keep in mind thou, that yours may be more complacent than mine. And I am of the belief that removal of anything should be due to personal experience and not the opinions of others due to the variety of temperaments.

I thought that he might have been alright too but from what I am seeing over the last few days with the cleaners and then how agressive he is becoming when it is feeding time I think I am going to start the trapping process. I'll post what worked and what didn't. Hopefully I can get him on the first shot of shrimp in a tall glass cup. :D

Well I ended up having to take all the rock out.......bummer!!! I couldn't get the rock back the same way but some came out better and some didn't. I ended up getting full credit for that critter and I got a tiger pistol, YWG and another cleaner. All three have done excellent and now waiting to see the two pair up.

Archived