Cultivated Reef

Potter's Angel

dchisenh

Hey Everyone,

Just curious to know if anyone here has ever kept a Potter's Angelfish (Centropyge potteri) in a nano before. If so, what size was it in, how long have you had him, and how did you do it? Thanks. :)

-Dan

• 3 weeks later...
maroonclown

I had one in a 20 gallon ( before it was a reef). They're difficult to feed, but like Moorish idols for example, are not to difficult if you find one that is eating frozen foods. I believe they are detritavours (I'm not sure of this or my spelling), and love diatom algae. They are grazers, and spend all day picking over the rocks. Unfortunately, they also pick at corals and tridacna clams, so avoid any and all centropyge angels for a small reef. My potter's lasted for 3 months, and its death was my fault. I had overstocked the tank, and had 5 fish including the potter’s. They are extremly well behaved with other fish and mobile inverts, and I swear to God, mine stopped fights between my 2 damselfish ( 1 yellow tailed blue and a reticulated damsel). It went between the two of them, and stopped every fight! I don't care if nobody believes me, because I know what I saw. They are beautiful fish, and I will keep them again. I just won't put it in a 20 gallon next time ( I'm thinking of a 65 or a 75 gallon tank). They do get about 6", which is a little large for a nano, in my opinion. If you really want one, get one that is feeding, and don't put it in a tank with your prized corals and clams. Also, I've read that the tank they gio into should be running at least a year, preferably two years. I hope this helps you some.

Thanks maroonclown :)

That's basically what I thought, as far as their eating habits, how big they get, etc. I was planning on trying with a 29 that is very established, has good microalgae growth on the glass panels if I let it go, and is pretty stable. I tried one in a 75, but he wasn't eating at the store and never did. I was just curious to see how anyone else had fared with one in a small tank. Thanks for your help. :)

-Dan

maroonclown

Your welcome, and that 29 should be good if it is one of the only fish in there. The employee that I trust the most at my LFS listed the potter's as #5 on his list of the top ten hardest fish to feed, so keep that in mind. And I need to correct myself, I accidentaly killed it when I was sick. I had one of those Vicks vaporizers going in my room, and the medicine that is vaporized with the steam condesed and dripped into the tank. It almost killed the damsels, and killed the potter's and a cleaner wrasse. It was not killed by overstocking.

Archived