ReefCleaners.org

What triggers a coral to move?

BIGBOB

One coral in praticular, my colt coral moves and strains all of its segments to receive the most direct light from the MH. This coral had many individual polyps. When I first put it in there, the entire "stalk" began to move towards MH. Since there are only individual polyps, how does the entire coral move/bend itself?

Why it moves or how it moves?

Why? Well that pretty obvious it wants better light of waterflow. It could also be too much light or waterflow. You can safely assume it wants more light if its bending torwards it.

How it moves? In much the same way plants move. By contracting or expanding the fluid in their cells.

Yes i am aware of that, but since there are small individual polyps sharing one base, wat moves/ bends the entire base?

The individual polyps are just part of the entire coral. It's capable of moving, very slowly, but it can move. Not sure how, but they do. They move for a reason, and when they're happy with their new location that's where they'll stay. One of my mushrooms moved, guess it wanted to make room for a baby mushroom growing under it.

Archived