SaltCritters.com

The wallet just got lighter...

KOFP

I have purchased the first item for the set-up of my 150g reef. I don't know when the tank can be set-up due to moving issues, perhaps a renovation, so a big tank cannot be set-up yet. My purchase is the 72" Current Outer Orbit HQI with 3 150w MH bulbs and 4 96w actinics...about 840w total. I'm going to be picking it up at Reef Creations in Buffalo, at the end of August, because I will be in town. Can't wait, however long that may be, to watch the acros, montis, clams, brains, acan, blastos, zoos, shrooms, leathers, millepora to live and grow...oh ya, and all the fishies too!

Well, the thing is, i'll be in the US for more than 48 hrs., (going to atlanta for a trip, flying to and fro from buffalo), so I can bring back $400 worth of goods. My dad will also be coming so that's $800 for both of us. The light fixture cost me $960. I may be taxed for $160, or the customs officers may use their discretion :)

If I were to order online, I'd have to pay over $200 for shipping, and would pay lots of taxes (14%), and a customs handling fee of $50-$60...expensive.

Congrats on the 150g but I think you can do better and cheaper getting a light fixture locally. Did you see what WTR and RR could offer you? Not to mention either would probably give you some discounts on livestock.

can't you get the company to make a fake bill so you won't get nailed at the border for too much? :)

why 150w instead of 250w? you probably won't be able to keep those high light corals you listed...

Tim

why 150w instead of 250w? you probably won't be able to keep those high light corals you listed...

Tim

the fixture with 250w bulbs has only about 200w more lighting than the fixture with 150w bulbs...i'm thinking of adding some T-5's in there anyway. i've done my research and i'm confident i can keep all kinds of SPS.

lighting isn't everything, flow and water quality is essential too.

the fixture with 250w bulbs has only about 200w more lighting than the fixture with 150w bulbs...i'm thinking of adding some T-5's in there anyway. i've done my research and i'm confident i can keep all kinds of SPS.

lighting isn't everything, flow and water quality is essential too.

Where's Reef Creations? I lived in Buffalo for a little while and I never heard of this store? BTW, I worked at The Fish Place for a summer. If you've never stopped in there, you should check it out.

-Nate

wow i didnt know shipping was that much to canada!

how deep is a 150?

i couldn't believe it either...200 bucks! but what's more insane are the prices here...2k for the same system i'm getting in the US for under 1k...dammnnn.

BTW, it's 28" deep...perfect for softy mayhem at the bottom and SPS domination at the top!

250w if you're set on keeping acros IMO

would they be OK though...if they're high in the tank and have great flow?

couldn't i also add some T-5's to brighten the place up?

if you had a 12-18" deep tank with 150's you could keep sps right?

so for the first 12-18" in his tank he should be fine with sps

i dont see why people think you need higher lighting just because you have a bigger tank, as long as you keep them in their "zone"

my lfs has a 5' tall tank with only 400's yet people think you need 1000's for something that deep, but he only has sps within the first 3' from top

if you had a 12-18" deep tank with 150's you could keep sps right?

so for the first 12-18" in his tank he should be fine with sps

i dont see why people think you need higher lighting just because you have a bigger tank, as long as you keep them in their "zone"

my lfs has a 5' tall tank with only 400's yet people think you need 1000's for something that deep, but he only has sps within the first 3' from top

that's what i'm trying to get at. i'm not going to put acros or SPS on the substrate or anything, they'd only be in the top 10" of the tank. IMO and IME (in my experience when i researched and talked to my reputable LFS and fellow reefers) my set-up is A-okay.

Why don't you get the Odyssea fixtures?

Aquatraders has it. Their website is www.aquatraders.com.

I got a 24" one from them, and I haven't had any problems with them!

Archived